Easy Install Issue

bradk

I'm putting Accordance on my new laptop which replaced my other. I loaded the software and when run it wants to set up. So I entered my credentials from the store on AccordanceBible.com. It then offered Easy Install. First I tried to download everything. That failed due do a network error. I retried it with a better network connection. That also failed. However, I noticed that while the download dialog counted things loading against a total of more than 200, when that failed, it started all over again. Why doesn't Easy Install install one package at a time and put it in place so it is loaded? I have spent three days so far trying to reload and I still don't have one Bible loaded! I selected only a few items in the list and it has so far downloaded 44 out of 184 in the last hour. But I have to take the laptop

with me to a meeting and I will now lose all 44 of those downloads and start over again. Why is this?

Bruce

Hi, Bruce! A couple of things:

1) The main reason why Accordance does the downloads first, and installs later, is that the installation process may interrupt the user, causing a session that needs to reload, or other issues. The user isn't interrupted at all during the download, and can work in peace (or just leave the computer). If we were installing regularly, we'd have to prevent the user from doing anything during the download process as well.

2) It should hopefully cache the downloaded files, so if you need to stop (or have an error), it should pick up where you left off, or at least catch up to there very quickly. The cache files are deleted if you reboot the computer, but otherwise it should help mediate situations where you need to pause the download and continue.

• Like 1

Thanks Joel,

I understand the main reason. However, given my trouble this last week, I would have liked an option to install as I go. I have wasted i don't know how many hours trying to clone my previous laptop install.

The caching is not completely evident to me. I've reached 80% downloaded several times and had to start over. I don't think I rebooted very often so I cannot explain it. I think there was at least one update during this week and I have another one pending which I'm not installing until Accordance is loaded.

i've now reached 112 out of 222 modules or whatever the units counted are. The interruption tonight to go to BIble Study without Accordance (I needed my laptop for notes and I used Olive Tree as my backup eBible), but it did pick up the 20 or so things downloaded this afternoon.

Most of my installs are done on my Desktop except for adding a new purchase. Are there any instructions on these things? What you told me I had not known.

Thanks, Bruce

PS., I fixed my profile to show I'm on Accordance 10.x

Things going rather well. While interpreting your previous reply, I went about an approach that occurred to me. I selected in Easy Install only the main modules such as Scholar 8 and other packages that would provide much of what i needed. I loaded them. It took two tries as there was a reported network error during that. The retry sped through the ones downloaded and picked up the two things that had failed. I installed them when the download was complete. Things looked good.

I then reopened the Easy Install dialog, select Hide install items and let the default of everything remaining be checked and then loaded those 73 items.

During this, in the Install phase it reported two items had I/O errors. This was during the first install after downloading the selected items. When I did the second download of everything not installed and installed that I had no errors. Should this have taken care of the items with the I/O errors (that is would they have been re-downloaded and installed in the next pass?)?

Assuming that is OK, I now have one more issue. The item Greek Diagrans (GNT-T.diagram) did not get installed and continues to appear in my items to install. I've tried it several times with each time doing the Download and when prompted do the Install. It does not get loaded. In the Easy Install dialog the info window gives: Installation Status: Not Installed. I went to my Desktop and brought up Easy Install. Everything was greyed out (installed). If I click on Hide installed items, the list is empty. But if I examine the greyed out list, I see Greek Diagrams is listed there. Since it is install I cannot select it to examine the info displayed.

The Laptop shows Greek Diagrams (GNT-T.diagrams), Purchased on Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 1:24:06 AM, Download size: 2.7 MB

Any idea what is wrong with it or how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Bruce

We worked with another user on the Greek Diagrams issue. First you must have the actual GNT-T modules, and have installed and opened it once (we'll fix this for a future rev). Second the Diagrams are half installed if they appear in the list under Add Parallel. Select them, and you will need your unlock code, which you may need to request from our sales or support department.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the Mounce 3rd edition. I run Easy Install and it sees it. I tell it to download and it completes the download and asks me if I want to install. I say yes and it looks like it finishes but then comes back to the download page and says the module is not installed.

I then try to download updates (free) and the same thing happens. It downloads 15 different modules and then asks if I want to install them, I say yes and none of them install.

Any suggestions?

You user may not have permission to change the contents of the Accordance folder.

You need to find the folder named Accordance in Library/Application Support. (It may be in the hard drive Library or the user Library, and to see the latter on Lion/ML you can press option as you open the Go menu.)

Get info on the Accordance folder from the File menu, unlock the permissions at the bottom, set it to give your user read/write permission, and then click the gear menu to apply those permissions to all enclosed contents.

This is a common problem after migrating or restoring from backup, especially on Lion+.