Pocket Dictionary Series broken out into individual volumes

Kevin Sigafoos

I would like to have the IVP-Pocket Dictionaries module broken out into their individual volumes (Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms, Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics and Philosophy of Religion, Pocket Dictionary for the Study of New Testament Greek).

I am often confused about where to find the information in this volume and I forget that I have the individual titles in the one, unhelpfully named, "Pocket Dictionary Series" module.

I understand that Accordance may want these volumes to be purchased together. That's fine. I am just asking to separate the books into separate volumes for easier library searches.

I would like to have the IVP-Pocket Dictionaries module broken out into their individual volumes (Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms, Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies, Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics and Philosophy of Religion, Pocket Dictionary for the Study of New Testament Greek).

I am often confused about where to find the information in this volume and I forget that I have the individual titles in the one, unhelpfully named, "Pocket Dictionary Series" module.

I understand that Accordance may want these volumes to be purchased together. That's fine. I am just asking to separate the books into separate volumes for easier library searches.

Can you elaborate on the confusion here? I'd like to see if we can help clear things up by different features within the app since I don't think we will ever split this up (there are a number of technical reasons against it; and this is the first request I've ever seen for a group of titles to be split up).

Rick, there are two problems that I experience with the pocket dictionaries. One is that there is an inconsistency in format. The original four dictionaries are bundled together in one module. The last three to be released are three individual modules. I think there needs to be consistency one way or the other; I happen to prefer individual modules. The other issue is one of functionality. When you open the library, you will see that the original four pocket dictionaries are bundled together as "Pocket Dictionary Series." When you click on it, they all open as a single module. You can't open them individually, and thus can't use any one alone as your preferred dictionary. Right now I am going through some of my Greek grammars and would like to have The Pocket Dictionary for the Study of New Testament Greek as my preferred dictionary to get quick definitions related to Greek, but I can't do that. If we had individual modules, we could use these dictionaries as preferred dictionaries for different study purposes (Greek grammar, Hebrew grammar, theology, church history, etc.).

Rick, there are two problems that I experience with the pocket dictionaries. One is that there is an inconsistency in format. The original four dictionaries are bundled together in one module. The last three to be released are three individual modules. I think there needs to be consistency one way or the other; I happen to prefer individual modules. The other issue is one of functionality. When you open the library, you will see that the original four pocket dictionaries are bundled together as "Pocket Dictionary Series." When you click on it, they all open as a single module. You can't open them individually, and thus can't use any one alone as your preferred dictionary. Right now I am going through some of my Greek grammars and would like to have The Pocket Dictionary for the Study of New Testament Greek as my preferred dictionary to get quick definitions related to Greek, but I can't do that. If we had individual modules, we could use these dictionaries as preferred dictionaries for different study purposes (Greek grammar, Hebrew grammar, theology, church history, etc.).

Thanks for chiming in. While I don't necessarily agree with the original decision to bundle 4 different dictionaries into 1 module the fact they are already released as such on CD makes it more difficult to change this now. The new ones aren't bundled together so that users can have the option (under a separate license agreement from the original collection) to purchase them separately.

Regarding setting them as your 'preferred' dictionary, I don't see why you can't do this. If you move it to the top English dictionary in the Library you can still use it to amplify via triple-click. Now, I understand there may be cases where you have to click through the search results to get the desired hit, and that isn't ideal, but it's still possible with a few extra clicks. I would recommend leaving the browser undisclosed so that only the dictionary titles are visible, which makes it easier to see which title contains the hit.

Also, for searching in the module itself, you can constrain the search to a range by opt-clicking on the browser level for the desired title (or right-click and select 'add to range' from the contextual menu).

Lastly, regarding my comment about no requests to split a group of titles, I later realized that this is a somewhat different scenario since these are really a group of independent titles (different than say a commentary series).

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

It would be nice if searching in the library for the title of any of the four resources in the IVP Pocket Dictionary Series would bring up this module. As it is, one has to search for the actual title of the module.