#71) How to Read the Bible Better

Timothy Jenney

Want to be a better reader of the Bible? This podcast is for you!

[basic] Good Bible study technique starts with learning to read the Bible better. Experts call this a "close reading" of the text. Here's how to construct an Accordance workspace to practice this technique, as well as access the three most important categories of external tools for increasing our comprehension of the text.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed this one. Thanks, Dr. J!

I may have misunderstood, but I think that the bottom three panes should be:

Literary context - Linguistic context - Cultural context

What appears in the podcast, though is:

Literary context - Linguistic context - Linguistic context

Arg! Would you believe this podcast was proofed multiple times—and no one caught this error?

Thanks for your sharp eye! You are certainly correct, but I know of no way of pulling this off the internet now. Most of our users subscribe to these casts and they have already downloaded it. :-(

It's moments like these that remind me that I may be inspired, but will never be inerrant.

"Basic" or not, I found the podcast so interesting that I was paying very close attention. ;) I've even adjusted my daily reading workspace to reflect more closely the style that you introduced.

• 4 months later...

Dr. J, in the podcast you hovered over a word then did command-hover and then did option-command-hover and they showed 3 different things. When I tried it, command-hover and option-comand-hover are showing the same exact thing. Is there something else you did on the podcast that isn't apparent to me?

Hi, Paul!

I believe you're referring to key number texts.In Accordance 9 Cmd-hover displayed an original language lexicon, while opt-cmd-hover displayed the user's top English dictionary. That feature got left out of Accordance 10.0.1, but I am told that 10.0.2 will soon show both with cmd-hover. 10.0.2 should be out this week. Wait for it! ;-)

Thank you for letting me know. I thought I was doing something incorrectly. When I saw that on the podcast I wanted to try it and start incorporating it into my study time. I'll wait for 10.0.2 to be released :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this podcast! I've set up my workspace accordingly. Unfortunately, most of the reference tools that come with the Essentials Collection were not mentioned in the podcast. How would these tools be categorized (literary, linguistic, cultural, technical, textual apparatus, study bibles, text images)? This is all new to me!

1. GNT-T Notes
  2. AMP Notes
  3. WEB Notes
  4. NAS Notes
  5. NAS955 Notes
  6. SCHLA2K Notes
  7. Albert Barnes' Notes
  8. Our Daily Homily
  9. Greek Parsing
  10. John Wesley's Notes
  11. Bible Knowledge Commentary
  12. Calvin's Commentaries
  13. McGarvey on Acts
  14. Hodge on Ephesians
  15. Luther on Galatians
  16. Manton on James
  17. Jamieson, Fausset, Brwon
  18. Johnson on John
  19. Vincent's Word Studies
  20. Adam Clarke
  21. ESV Notes
  22. Life Application Study Bible
  23. Mclaren's Expositions
  24. Chadwick on Mark
  25. MESSAGE Notes
  26. NETS Notes
  27. NETS2 Notes
  28. NKJV Notes
  29. NLT-SE Notes
  30. NRSV Notes
  31. Bible Art
  32. Hebrew Verb Parsing

Edited by AdrianD

In case anyone else is wondering about how to categorize these reference tools, here's what I got back from support:

Sub categories of the tool category are a matter of taste of the individual.

To find more information on a particular module to further guide you in the sub-category that you might choose, put that module name the search area of our website for more information on that module.

Also, if you hover on the module in the Library Window, you will see a box with an i in it. if you go to that symbol, it will expand the information on the module and may have enough information in it to also aid in establishing a sub-catagory.

In the Library Window, you can sort these into sub-categories of your choosing by clicking on a module and going to this icon at the very bottom to customize it.

Adrian,

I use the following sub categories under reference tools:

Bible Notes

Classic Commentaries

Study Bibles

I believe these three pretty much cover your list. I believe that most of the Bibles now allow you to hover over a note and read it in the information window, so I do not use these as separate modules very often.

Hope this helps.

Adrian - I thought Dr. J's podcast was great, too. I need to watch it again. I also altered my organization because of it (including a new category = Context Helps).

I've reorganized several times over the years. I don't go back to the very beginning of Accordance, but came in at Version 5 (end). Attached are a couple of screen shots that show the categories I am now using and have been using for some time. Not being either an academic or seminarian, I was unfamiliar with many of the works & authors, so I did a lot of web searches before categorizing them by theological leaning.

I'm really not OCD, but organization minimizes frustration for me. This way I can find everything! By the way, I included the NET Notes in the Greek Apparatus/Commentary category because it works better for me there.