23 replies to this topic

#1 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,500 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

A user e-mailed me recently to say that she had accidentally discovered that you could use a period instead of a colon when entering verse references. Obviously, in the wider panoply of Accordance features, this is a relatively minor one, but she was quite excited about no longer having to use the Shift key to enter references. For those among you who appreciate the little things, here are a few more tips about entering verse references.
  • Rather than having a set list of book abbreviations, Accordance only requires that you enter enough of a book name to uniquely identify it. Thus, "1p" is all you need to identify 1Peter, while 1Corinthians would require "1Co" (to distinguish it from 1Chronicles).
    This ability was recently beefed up in Accordance 6 to account for an even wider variety of abbreviations. Thus, "Luk", "Lu", and "Lk" will all find the book of Luke. "Mat", "Mt," "Mw," Maw", "Matw", "Mtt", and other combinations will all find Matthew. Basically, as long as you get close, you're likely to find the book you're looking for.
  • When dealing with book names beginning with a number, you can have a space between the number and the book name ONLY when it is the first reference in the entry box.
    Thus, you could have "1 Peter 3:1; Matthew 5; 1Sam 17" and it would work. But if you have "1 Peter 3:1; Matthew 5; 1 Sam 17", that space between the "1" and the "Sam" will cause Accordance to protest.
    Why does that space cause so many problems? Because Accordance has no way to tell whether the "1" is part of the preceding reference (i.e.: "Matthew 5; 1") or part of the reference which follows ("1 Sam 17"). This ambiguity doesn't apply when a numbered book name begins an entry, so the space is permissible there.
  • You can use "f" or "ff" (an abbreviation which means "and following") after a reference to see all the following verses/chapters. Thus, "1p 2:8f" will show you all the verses from 1Peter 2:8 through the end of the chapter. "1p 2f" will show you all the chapters from 1 Peter 2 through the end of the book. Finally, "1p f" will show you all the books from 1 Peter through Revelation. It's a lot quicker than trying to enter a range with an ending book, chapter, or verse.
I know as tips go, these are pretty basic, but hopefully they'll be of help to some of you.

David Lang
  • Serpentium likes this

#2 Dennis M Callies

Dennis M Callies

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:49 PM

Double check your # 3,because what is the diffrence between ff and f.
Dennis M Callies

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,500 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

There is no difference between f and ff, the results depend on whether it follows a verse or chapter number or a book.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 Chris Regas

Chris Regas

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:40 PM

BIG HELP! No tip too small for me! Thank you!

Chris
Chris[B][I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=blue]

#5 Roger

Roger

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, Cristian resources in Spanish, Creation Science, Technology for the Church, Church Audio Technician.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:17 PM

I discovered a search tip that I'd like to share.

Although it is esential to compare certain verses together within a chapter, sometimes scrolling back and forth can be a pain. That's when a search string like "Psalm 119:1, 10, 36-41" come in handy, because just those verses show up on the screen.
Roger Dye
Viña del Mar, Chile

#6 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,048 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:02 PM

I discovered a search tip that I'd like to share.

Although it is esential to compare certain verses together within a chapter, sometimes scrolling back and forth can be a pain. That's when a search string like "Psalm 119:1, 10, 36-41" come in handy, because just those verses show up on the screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll add my 2 cents to that. I often use Accordance for taking notes and following in a Bible study. At times, they'll rattle off 5 verses in a row, sometimes out of order. Accordance still handle's these brilliantly. For instance, I could go:

"Josh 3:4; gal 4:2,5; 1cor 3:1-3; job 5:3"

And it lists them all, in that exact order. Very convenient and fast, especially when I can look at them all in the different translations at the same time. Note, those references were entirely random, any coincidences are accidental. :D
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#7 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:53 PM

There is no difference between f and ff, the results depend on whether it follows a verse or chapter number or a book.

I think what Dennis is getting at is that in print, f. means a single following entity (verse, chapter, page, etc.), whereas ff. means all such entities up to the end of the logical section. Thus, in print, Gen. 1.1f normally means Gen. 1.1-2, Psa. 22f refers to Psa. 22-23, Psa. 139.19ff refers to Psa. 139.19-24, Gen. 39ff refers to Gen. 39.1–50.26, etc. (cf. Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed., 17.131, which actually discourages this usage, preferring explicit versification/pagination/sectioning!).

I suppose it is most problematic if someone copies a list of citations from a tool like the Anchor Bible Dictionary which distinguishes the usage of f. and ff. Under the headword ELIHU, you find "2. The fourth opponent of Job (Job 32:2, 4; 5f; 34:1; 35:1; 36:1)." In this case, the preceding semicolon is probably a typo, but either way, Accordance is currently confused by the sequence (even if the semicolon is changed into a comma) and displays a "There are extra characters after the end of the verse reference" error pane. If it were to display all the rest of the verses in chapter (vv. 6-22), that's quite a bit more than intended. Indeed, only the expression "Job 32:2, 4ff, 34:1; 35:1; 36:1" gives any result while "Job 32:2, 4f, 34:1; 35:1; 36:1" gives the error. Hmm!
  • Serpentium likes this
J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#8 Kevin Soars

Kevin Soars

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

If I may Chris, I would like to copy your own: "BIG HELP! No tip too small for me! Thank you!" and say, that is exactly how I feel.

Kevin (Soars).
Kevin.

#9 Ron Bailey

Ron Bailey

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Bible teaching and the local church.
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:08 AM

Thanks, the 'f' tip will be very useful to me.
This is probably the dumbest question you have received but is there a quick keystroke to switch to the entry window to enter a verse, and another to enter a word. I find it frustrating to be told there is no such book as 'nose'! (For the curious, I was doing some research on 'sweet saviour offerings!) and it is marginally time consuming to hit that radio button.

Edited by Helen Brown, 26 October 2005 - 01:04 PM.

Ron Bailey
The BibleBase

#10 Ron Webber

Ron Webber

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:24 AM

Hello Ron,

Typing Command-Semicolon will toggle the radio buttons in the search pane between "Words" and "Verses." It's very useful and don't worry, it's not "a dumb question." ;)

Best regards,

Ron Webber

#11 Ron Bailey

Ron Bailey

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Bible teaching and the local church.

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:14 PM

Thanks Ron and Helen (who I met today at the London MaxExpo)
this was just what I needed. It is in the many keyboard shortcuts but I just kept missing it.
It not only toggles between 'words' and 'verses' but put the cursor on the line so that you can just type away. I shall use it even when I am in the right search window, but command-semicolon TWICE. This will save my fingers leaving the keyboard and having to reach for the mouse!

I think we should all make our own contribution to 'energy saving'.:rolleyes:
His/yours
Ron
Ron Bailey
The BibleBase

#12 David Lang

David Lang

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:Accordance development, writing, spending time with my wife and five kids

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:51 AM

Ron,

If I understand you right, you're saying that when you're in Word search mode and you want to enter a new argument, you'll hit command-semicolon twice to toggle from Words to Verses and back to Words. That way, the argument entry box will be selected and you can just start typing your new search. If that's the case, here's another tip for you: Just hit the Tab key once. That will select the argument entry box without changing the search mode. Even better, it requires one finger rather than two!

By the way, if you hit the Tab key twice, the Reference box in the lower right will be selected.

Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
David Lang
Accordance Developer
http://www.accordancebible.com

Author:
Feet to Follow, Eyes to See
http://feettofollow.wordpress.com

Macs in the Ministry
http://www.macsinministrybook.com

Leader of the "Lang Gang"
http://www.langgangland.com
http://twitter.com/DavidAllenLang

#13 wesped

wesped

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

Wow…thanks guys for the toggle command>semicolon tip. I know that I will use this.
Wesley Miller

#14 treyj

treyj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hello Ron,

Typing Command-Semicolon will toggle the radio buttons in the search pane between "Words" and "Verses." It's very useful and don't worry, it's not "a dumb question." ;)

Best regards,

Ron Webber

thank you!! I too was frustrated by having to re-position my hands while typing a document.
treyjasso.com

#15 Sean R.

Sean R.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

I'm noticing a difference between f and ff. For example, when I enter Rom 8:6f, Accordance displays Rom. 8:6-7. When I enter Rom 8:6ff, however, Accordance displays Rom. 8:6-39 (through to the end of the chapter). Thus, "f" instructs Accordance to display only the next verse following the reference entered while "ff" displays through the end of the chapter.

Edited by Sean R., 13 November 2010 - 06:45 PM.

Sean Reed

#16 Tony Pyles

Tony Pyles

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Hebrew, Greek, Psalms, Septuagint, Linguistics, NT use of the OT, Reformed Dogmatics

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:45 PM

I'm noticing a difference between f and ff. When I enter Rom 8:6f, Accordance displays Rom. 8:6-7. When I enter Rom 8:6ff, Accordance displays Rom. 8:6-39 (through to the end of the chapter). Thus, "f" instructs Accordance to display only the next verse following the reference entered while "ff" displays through the end of the chapter.

This was fixed with 8.2. It also works with chapters, or books. (E.g., Gen 37f gets 37-38, Gen 37ff gets Gen 37-50; Gen f gets Gen-Exod, Matt ff gets the whole NT.) Pretty cool, huh? :-)

#17 John F. Hart

John F. Hart

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

Helen's tips were very helpful. I would like to add a great tip on searching references in tools that someone at Accordance shared with me some time ago.

When searching tools or journals for a specific reference like John 3:16, typing that reference into the search box also finds all verse and chapter ranges that contains that verse. In other words, a search definition of "John 3:16" brings up hits that include John, John 1-15, John 3, John 3:1-17, John 3:15–19, etc., etc. To limit the search to find only John 3:16, the formula is "John 3:16 <NOT> (John 3:15 <OR> John 3:17)" [don't enter the quote marks]. I found this extremely helpful, so I have saved the formula elsewhere on my computer so that I don't forget it.
John F. Hart
Professor of Bible
Moody Bible Institute

#18 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,500 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

We now have the ability to add the equal sign before the verse reference, so =John 3:16 finds only that verse.
  • Serpentium likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#19 John F. Hart

John F. Hart

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

That's the benefit of this forum—keeping up-to-date on tips and ideas. That sure is a shortcut to the old formula! I didn't think of that.
Thanks.
John F. Hart
Professor of Bible
Moody Bible Institute

#20 Ed Cross

Ed Cross

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:King James Bible

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

We now have the ability to add the equal sign before the verse reference, so =John 3:16 finds only that verse.

This no longer works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users