Searching the NA27 apparatus: 3 questions

JAS

(1) How do I enter in the symbols for searching by witness? I can sometimes type in a character (say a "p") and get taken (sometimes) to a list from which I can select the gothic P of the papyrus witnesses. Or at least, how can I force that list so I can select from it? Sometimes I type in a "p" and it remains an English "p" and then searches for that instead of the gothic P.

(2) Say I want to search only for one papyrus, P46. Presently, I type in P and hope to get a list to convert that to the gothic P (see above) and then I go down to the "more options" section and select the "AND" command from the list, select "Witnesses" from the next drop down list and then I type in 46 in the input area beside it. What I get is a list of all instances of the Gothic P and all instances 46. This is not such a problem since if I make sure it searches by paragraph I can narrow down the hits. What I'm wondering is whether this is the best way to do such a search?

(3) This one is probably a long shot, but is there a way to have results of the apparatus searches collated. Say I look for all instances of P46, is there a setting or something that collates the results of P46 all in one spot and not marked throughout the document (like the results from a search in the GNT-T are separated out from their original contexts and placed into a collated list)?

Sorry if this is a repeated question(s), I checked around and didn't see any threads about it.

JAS

(1) How do I enter in the symbols for searching by witness? I can sometimes type in a character (say a "p") and get taken (sometimes) to a list from which I can select the gothic P of the papyrus witnesses. Or at least, how can I force that list so I can select from it? Sometimes I type in a "p" and it remains an English "p" and then searches for that instead of the gothic P.

I would suggest using the Character Palette (Window menu), and choose MSS. You can also learn the keyboard shortcuts, which show up in the instant details at the bottom of the palette. In this case, the gothic P can be typed by shift-option-p.

The Character Palette is also useful for searching other apparatuses (e.g., BHS-GBS, CNTTS, LXXS-Apparatus, and others) and searches for non-alphabetic glyphs in Greek (accents, breathing marks, punctuation) and Hebrew/Aramaic/Syriac (vowels, cantillation, and miscellaneous).

(2) Say I want to search only for one papyrus, P46. Presently, I type in P and hope to get a list to convert that to the gothic P (see above) and then I go down to the "more options" section and select the "AND" command from the list, select "Witnesses" from the next drop down list and then I type in 46 in the input area beside it. What I get is a list of all instances of the Gothic P and all instances 46. This is not such a problem since if I make sure it searches by paragraph I can narrow down the hits. What I'm wondering is whether this is the best way to do such a search?

Type a space between the "P" and the "46"--each of these is a "word" for Accordance.

(3) This one is probably a long shot, but is there a way to have results of the apparatus searches collated. Say I look for all instances of P46, is there a setting or something that collates the results of P46 all in one spot and not marked throughout the document (like the results from a search in the GNT-T are separated out from their original contexts and placed into a collated list)?

Since there isn't currently a way to link reference tools back to texts (on analogy with the way the HITS, CONTENTS, and LINK commands currently let you do so between texts, the best you can do is to set the display to [show: Add Titles], and maybe copy and paste the apparatus into a word processor and delete the extraneous information and consolidate verses. This is a lot easier to do if you know regular expressions and use them in a text processor like TextWrangler/BBEdit or a word processor that supports regular expressions, such as Mellel.

Hope that helps!

Since there isn't currently a way to link reference tools back to texts (on analogy with the way the HITS, CONTENTS, and LINK commands currently let you do so between texts, the best you can do is to set the display to [show: Add Titles], and maybe copy and paste the apparatus into a word processor and delete the extraneous information and consolidate verses. This is a lot easier to do if you know regular expressions and use them in a text processor like TextWrangler/BBEdit or a word processor that supports regular expressions, such as Mellel.

You can do this even better in the CNTTS NT Critical Apparatus which is nearing completion, and for which we expect an update soon.

See this example: CNTTS.jpg

Archived