Which Commentary would you suggest I should buy first?

davidmedina

I am looking to add the following commentaries but i need to one at a time. Which priority would you suggest? Which one should I get first?

The Bible Speak Today.

The Tyndale commentaries.

The Expositor Bible Commentary

Thanks,

David

David,

I'm not particularly familiar with any of those commentaries, but I know that others will want to know more about what you want/need in a commentary, how you will use it, etc. in order to answer. A couple of years ago, Dr. J. did a podcast on choosing commentaries. It can be found here. This gives a good overview to the type of commentaries, even if not all of those on your list are mentioned there. Knowing what type or category of commentary you would find most useful would help others advise you.

Lorinda

That was really fast. I;ll be looking at the video right away.

David

My personal preference is EBC for quick references. Tyndale is also good, when I need to dig a bit deeper (but not very deep), don't know anything about The Bible Speak Today.

I'd go Tyndale as the quality of the entire set is very good and concise. However, the Tyndale commentary is available as part of one of higher levels so if you're going to upgrade you might consider EBC instead.

Tyndale is a good set, the EBC Rev. also.

BST is more on a practical level, with some gppd insights for sermon prep.

I also suggest you get hold on The Thematic Study Bible, which is a commentary in itself.

Hans

However, the Tyndale commentary is available as part of one of higher levels so if you're going to upgrade you might consider EBC instead.

Indeed, the Bible Study Collection--which includes Tyndale--is less than Tyndale on its own and includes other modules as well. So if/when I get Tyndale, I'll do so that way.

I'd vote Tyndale also. It's a solid commentary (see www.bestcommentaries.com for comparisons), covers the entire Bible (the BST offered in Accordance only covers the NT), and is significantly cheaper than the updated EBC, especially if you get the Bible Study collection which would include many other resources. By way of comparison, the Bible Speaks Today series is a little more pastoral, while the Tyndale series is a little more exegetical. I don't have the EBC.

I think I am going to go with the Tyndale. Really appreciate your help!!

Thanks

David, if you are going to get the Tyndale Commentary, I highly recommend picking this up as part of the Bible Study Collection or Essential Collection, depending on what you already own. As someone already mentioned, the Bible Study Collection is actually cheaper than picking up the Tyndale Commentary on its own (our crazy math), and the Essential Collection would be recommended if you don't already have original language tools or the Atlas/Timelines, etc.

Thanks Darin

Edited by davidmedina

Thanks Darin