What is the advantage of Abridged NIDNTT

circuitrider

I read David Lang's post about the Abridged NIDNTT being on sale.

How does this differ form something like Thayer's?

Thanks.

I read David Lang's post about the Abridged NIDNTT being on sale.

How does this differ form something like Thayer's?

Thanks.

Thayer's is a lexicon, and an outdated one at that. In it's time it was significant, but as far as lexicons go it was written when scholars were just discovering the significance of the papyri which brought a whole new light on the language of the NT.

NIDNTT-A condenses a lot of the discussion in the unabridged version, and by design covers theological concepts as well. It is easier to read, and more concise, but not as exhaustive as the unabridged.

HTH…

Thayer's is a lexicon, and an outdated one...

Thank you for the response.

What would be considered and up to date lexicon?

Thank you for the response.

What would be considered and up to date lexicon?

The standard Greek lexicon is the BDAG. For more information on the abridged NIDNTT and an example section, see this thread (http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6759&st=0&p=29051&fromsearch=1entry29051).

Jonathan

The standard Greek lexicon is the BDAG. For more information on the abridged NIDNTT and an example section, see this thread (http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6759&st=0&p=29051&fromsearch=1entry29051).

Jonathan

Yes, BDAG is it. A bit expensive, but it is the only one you really need. The ability to triple-click from a Greek text and go right to the entry and have it highlight the relevant scripture ref you are in is a huge time-saver, too.

Yes, BDAG is it. A bit expensive, but it is the only one you really need. The ability to triple-click from a Greek text and go right to the entry and have it highlight the relevant scripture ref you are in is a huge time-saver, too.

Rick, all that said, what do you recommend for a top-level lexicon (The one that appears in the Instant Details Box when the command key is pressed.)? Would you recommend Thayer's, BDB, NIDNTT (abg) or something else?

Rick, all that said, what do you recommend for a top-level lexicon (The one that appears in the Instant Details Box when the command key is pressed.)? Would you recommend Thayer's, BDB, NIDNTT (abg) or something else?

It would probably depend on what I'm doing. In the past the majority of the time I was using the GNT-T was for translation, so BDAG would be the natural choice for a top-level lex for triple-click or cmd-hover. But, if I am prepping for a small group study, maybe something like NIDNTT, Spicq or TDNT that had more of a theological interoperation attached to it would be more suitable.

HTH

Archived