Third-Party Battery for 2008 MacBook?

Abram K-J

Is anyone able to advise me on the purchase of a replacement battery for my 2008 MacBook?

I ordered this one a year and a half ago from Amazon for $20, and now it's dead. I.e., computer won't hold a charge for even two seconds.

I'm trying to avoid spending $100 on an Apple battery. Ideas, links, brand recommendations, etc., are all welcomed!

Abram, I bought one from global-batteries on eBay for my white MacBook 2 years ago and it still performs very well. They are from Hong Kong so I was a little apprehensive at first but shipping time was reasonable and the price was in the a little over $30.

Thanks, Tony.

I have the grey unibody aluminum model (the MacBook Pros look identical, and my MacBook is late 2008 and just before it changed to "Pro"). Do you know how I find the correct identifying information about battery?

I'm assuming I have to take out the current battery and look (which I can't do at the moment), or maybe it's in my System Info somewhere? I couldn't find it, not even under "Power" (where other charging info is listed). I think I just sort of guessed before.

Abram, I did a quick search for the model at Apple and the specific model is "Battery for MacBook (MB771)" You should be able to search for that on Amazon, eBay, Google, etc.

• Like 1

I think your model number is A1181

so just search for a battery for that.

• Like 1

I just bought one from OWC for my 2008 MBP for around $80. I purchased a cheap one and had the same issues as you. It is working well for the week I have had it. It was from newertechnology 60 watt per hour.

We have used OWC for way over a decade – wish I still had my first receipt. Great products. Great customer service. The NewerTech batteries are cheaper and keep your machine charged for a longer period of time. Highly recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

Anker makes a battery for about $60 for this model. I've used other Anker products and liked them, but never their computer batteries. Has gotten decent reviews--anyone here know anything about Anker for laptop batteries?