Texts, Reference tools description, copyrightH

Miss Keene

Hello,

Is there a place within Accordance that lists say, all my Text abbreviations, what each one represents, and the copyright info?

For example, I don't know what "NEV79" is in my list of Texts. I can google it, or I can change my text display to that version, then with cursor in the text pane, either right click or use Accordance menu, "About the text..." to see info about that text.

However, the info in the resultant "About the text" doesn't often have the date or publication, or a copyright date, or necessarily tell me where it came from. The amount of info here varies from text to text. I sometimes do a 'copy as citation' to get info, especially regarding Tools.

As for Reference tools, some of them have copyright/publication info at the very top of the tool (which can be a pain to navigate to if you've just looked up "Hell" lol) but not always. In that case, copy as citation/paste might tell me.

In short, wondering if, within Accordance:

A list of all my tools, and texts

What they are ("JPS" means Jewish Publication Soc. Tanakh; "Henry" means Henry's Bible Commentary)

Publication/copyright info

Thanks, such a list would be extremely helpful in my knowing which tools apply to my current studies.

Don't worry, I intend to try them all...eventually.

This isn't a complete list, but you can get information for a lot of modules by looking at the "Read Me-Modules" module. To find it, go to the Resource palette, look under the Tools section, and click on the blue book with an A on it (the English Tools section) you should see the module listed there. (If clicking once on this icon makes a module open instead of showing you a list, click and hold on that icon.)

Lorinda

This isn't a complete list, but you can get information for a lot of modules by looking at the "Read Me-Modules" module. To find it, go to the Resource palette, look under the Tools section, and click on the blue book with an A on it (the English Tools section) you should see the module listed there. (If clicking once on this icon makes a module open instead of showing you a list, click and hold on that icon.)

Lorinda

Thanks, Lorinda. I found a articles of explanation for a few of my text modules; but for whatever reason, it seems 9 of 10 of my texts aren't listed, and none of the General tools I tried. The info I got was useful for the few I found.

Let's say someone buys Accordance 9, and doesn't know who Spurgeon, Finney, and Edwards are. How are they to know where the good refs on Hell are? (I'm being slightly facetious.) Or of Isaac Watts, great hymn writer. I know who Aquinas is, have studied bit of Summa...but imagine if someone has that module and no idea. What a pity to miss that!

Any more places to look and i.d. all I've got? As it is, I either search online or look at my original Accordance brochure, to at least know what category something is place.

Most of the Bible Texts use standard abbreviations for the texts; e.g.

• NRSV=New Revised Standard
    NIV=New International Version
    REB=Revised English Bible
    etc.

Those Biblical texts which have been tagged with Strong's Numbers have an additional S at the end. For example, the KJVS is the KJV tagged with Strong's numbers.

For many of these texts, there is an additional module that includes the introductions to the translation and/or translators' notes. If only the introduction/preface is included, those modules are in the General category (e.g. KJV Preface). If translators' notes are included, they are found in the Reference Tools Section (e.g. NET Notes).

In terms of knowing something about the authors of some of the other works you mentioned, I'm not aware of any Accordance based introduction to them.

Lorinda

Thanks. The "S" was a bit of mystery at first because the ESVS on their site is the "study" version of their Bible. I gather Accordance doesn't offer that?

More ? regarding organizing modules:

•  
  • How to arrange by date of publication?
  • Arrange Canonically? (which may have been what the original pattern was)

I can create groups and dividers, doing these arrangements manually. So I return to one of my questions:

I'm looking for a list:

•  
  • Text modules
  • What their initials stand for, (I'm familiar with many; less so with ones like RVR-09, NEG79, NLT-SE)
  • Publisher
  • Publication date
  • Copyright info? Copyright is important as we know; some are Public Domain, others belong to say, ESV: others, I imagine to Accordance.

As it is, I'm googling and looking at Amazon for full product info. Please save me from reinventing the wheel.

I'm slowly watching podcast 4 re Library Window, reading Help from the beginning now I know vers 8 Help mostly applies to 9; to improve my terminology and navigation skills. Meanwhile, much work to be done, thanks for your wonderful help and patience. B)

I don't think there's a complete list with the all the information you are looking for. A few other users have worked on similar lists for Tools. See this thread.

If you purchased a package from Accordance (e.g. Library Standard), there should be a page on the website that lists the full name of all the modules included. If you can't find it, let us know which package you purchased, and I can probably track it down for you.

I'm not sure there's a way to arrange modules "canonically," since there would be so much overlap.

NLT-SE=New Living Translation Second Edition

NEG= Nouvelle Edition de Gen

You can always control-click (or two-finger tap) in the display area of an open text or tool and select "About This Text

You can always control-click (or two-finger tap) in the display area of an open text or tool and select "About This Text

Here's a tip related to my OP; good to know for learning the module acronyms:

From Help, Searching the Bible, Defining a search:

"A text tip with the full name of the module appears if the cursor lingers over any text pop-up menu."

So if in a Tools Pane, I choose module HCSB Bullets (meanwhile scratching head..."what is that???) then hover my cursor over it there at the top of the drop-down menu, wait a sec or 2, get "Holman Christian Standard Bible BulletR Notes". Can't be copied, but at least tells me what that acronym is for. Works also for several texts I tried.

But then all you geniuses already knew this.

Interesting. I had tried doing that today in the Library window, with the thought of sharing the tip with you if it worked, but it doesn't seem to work there. I'd never thought of hovering the mouse over the pop-up menu. You taught me something today, thanks!

Lorinda

Interesting. I had tried doing that today in the Library window, with the thought of sharing the tip with you if it worked, but it doesn't seem to work there. I'd never thought of hovering the mouse over the pop-up menu. You taught me something today, thanks!

Lorinda

Yep, me too re Library and Resource windows. Those sneaky geeks ; )

Archived