Parsing -> line breaks -> user notes

Outis

Linebreaks in parsing/syntax window  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello,

While I use Accordance every week for my bible studies, devotions and sermons, the part that takes the most amount of time is formatting the user notes so that I can add notes to them.

I usually copy the contents of the parsing window into the user notes. Then I add line breaks. Then I can can finally start adding my notes.

I would really, really like to see some sort of option of having the parsing and syntax windows have line breaks included so that I don't have to spend extra time every week adding the line-breaks myself.

post-126-127532734516_thumb.jpg

Hi, Outis!

I am a bit puzzled. When I copy and paste information from my syntax chart, it includes line breaks [paragraph markers] at the end of each line. Ditto for the parsing—and both paste correctly into my User Notes.

I copied sections from both tools in Accordance and pasted them into MS Word. Then I turned on the "see hidden characters" option. It shows both these charts as tab delimited text files [each column separated by a tab], with each line a separate paragraph [ending in a paragraph marker].

If you have MS Word and want something else, you can modify the chart by doing a global search and replace (Shft-Cmd-H) and putting "^p" in the find box and "^p ^p" in the replace box [for double-spacing between each line] of even "^l ^l" [for dual line breaks].

Hope this helps!

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

There is a line break with the parsing and syntax chart. What I would like is a double line break--a "double-spaced" document.

What I end up doing is much the same thing you describe. I take the contents of the parsing window, copy them, and paste them into BBEdit. I do a search and replace, looking for one line break and replacing it with two line breaks. Then I copy that into my user notes and add my notes in between the lines.

It might seem like an easy step to do--to do these line break replacements in an external program. But there are two weaknesses in this:

1) it takes time. When I'm doing exegesis on a section of 15 to 20 verses, it takes a bunch of extra time doing the formatting the text before I can actually do my text study.

2) When I'm talking to other pastors (who do not have Accordance, but wanted to know more about this "Accordance" program I was using) about making use of the user notes, I walk them through the steps of parsing, copying, finding and replacing and then finally pasting back into my user notes----so then finally when I'm done, they usually say to me: "why would you pay that sort of money for a program if you have to do all this extra work with other applications before you can even get to your text study." I think they have a decent point. I still go through the work. But, I'd like it to be easier.

Is my point starting to become clearer?

Steve,

We can certainly consider adding a double-space option to the Parsing Display. In the meantime, you might streamline the process a bit by NOT going outside Accordance to double the returns. Simply use the Find/Replace window in Accordance. The workflow would end up like this:

1. Copy your Parsing

2. Paste into User Note edit window

3. Use command-F to pull up the Find/Replace window

4. Because the Find/Replace window in Accordance doesn't support regular expressions, you'll need to copy a return character and paste it once into the find box and twice into the replace box. Then uncheck Latin Characters only and click Replace All.

The Find/Replace window will remember what you entered into each field until you quit Accordance, so once you've set it up to double the returns, you can just hit command-F and click Replace All for each note.

That's the best I can offer for the time being, unless of course Joe Weaks can come up with some cool script to automate the process.

Hope this helps.

Thanks David,

This helps a lot.

I had used the find/replace function a little here and there, but never thought of doing that.

Of course, I'd still like to have a little more automated way of accomplishing this. But, this does save going to an external program.

Thanks again,

Thanks David,

This helps a lot.

I had used the find/replace function a little here and there, but never thought of doing that.

Of course, I'd still like to have a little more automated way of accomplishing this. But, this does save going to an external program.

Thanks again,

Archived