Poetry not looking like... poetry?

Abram K-J

In my LXX my poetry doesn't seem to be displaying quite right (compare it with the better-looking spacing of the NET, both shown in the screenshot here).

I have my text pane set to display "paragraphs" with verse, but this shouldn't cause the problem I'm seeing. Do I just have a setting wrong, perhaps? Is there a way to make the LXX poetry look more like poetry?

Also, does anyone know why in the BHS the new verse number is coming at the end of the previous verse on one line, not with the start of the verse it introduces on the next line?

(I do understand from another forum that the BHS is not spaced in Accordance like how it is in print.)

In my Accordance, LXX-T does not show poetry but Swete's LXX does.

What I don't get is that it looks like it wants to show poetry, but just doesn't get wrapped properly... is that what Psalms looks like for you (or others) in Rahlfs, too?

Yep. The Psalms look like they want to be poetry but have the same funny spacing. So does 2 Samuel 23:1-7. Again, in Swete's LXX the poetry is all there.

• 2 months later...

Above I asked:

Also, does anyone know why in the BHS the new verse number is coming at the end of the previous verse on one line, not with the start of the verse it introduces on the next line?

I'm still having this issue, in multiple texts, even if I set the verse reference to display "above" the verse instead of "before" it. It looks odd having the verse reference at the end of the line, not with the beginning of the next line with the actual verse it marks.

Is there a setting to adjust that I don't know about to prevent this? See attached. Obviously it's a sizing issue at play, but I'm still unclear as to why the verse reference is going the way it is.

In my LXX my poetry doesn't seem to be displaying quite right (compare it with the better-looking spacing of the NET, both shown in the screenshot here).

I have my text pane set to display "paragraphs" with verse, but this shouldn't cause the problem I'm seeing. Do I just have a setting wrong, perhaps? Is there a way to make the LXX poetry look more like poetry?

(I do understand from another forum that the BHS is not spaced in Accordance like how it is in print.)

We're looking into the LXX1 issue.

I think the verse numbers are just how they've always been handled.

I thought maybe the verse numbers issue was a right-to-left thing, but I see now that even in that same screenshot above, the same issue happens in English versions.

Is this something Accordance would consider looking at adjusting in future updates?

I thought maybe the verse numbers issue was a right-to-left thing, but I see now that even in that same screenshot above, the same issue happens in English versions.

Is this something Accordance would consider looking at adjusting in future updates?

Potentially, but it's just the way verses have been handled, probably forever. Not that I don't agree with the request, but it's priority is probably pretty low.

• 1 year later...

Rick, did anyone look into the LXX1 issue mentioned at the top of this thread? I'm in Rahlfs/Psalms, and notice it still exists--as if the text wants to be displayed as poetry, but doesn't quite get there.

It has not been addressed, but is clearly an issue. I can bring it up again.

Wow, you are quick on the forums. :)

Thanks! That would be great.

Do you mean that it was actually intended at one point to show as poetry? Or that the fix would be to make it look more like prose usually looks?

View as separate verses and it will look better. It still needs to be corrected. It's one of our oldest texts and is difficult to work with, but I have asked again for it to be addressed.

• Like 1

Ah, yes--didn't even think about adjusting the text display. Thanks! Glad it'll be looked at, too.