AccUpdate 2.2 Does Nothing?

Tim Etherington

Many apologies for not replying sooner.

Do you happen to have any other user accounts on that computer? If so (or if not, create a temporary one), try copying that aformentioned com.oaktree.accordance.mod.txt to the other user's preferences folder. Then install the widget on that account and see if it makes any difference. Also, is your account an administrator account? My theory is there is something else slightly odd with your user account, as nobody else has reported a failure in that part of the widget. Hopefully that theory is right and we can narrow down the part of your account which is odd.

A few more questions:

1) Do you have any other computers with which to see if the widget works in your house (or wherever this computer is in question)?

2) What method do you use to connect to the internet? I'm specifically looking for anything non-standard, such as PPPoE, proxy servers, shared connections from another computer, etc.

3) Has the AccUpdater widget ever worked in the past?

4) Are there any other widgets that seem to have display problems on your machine?

5) Does the Accordance widget work?

Thanks in advance for all of the answers.

No problem! You are a busy man.

I created a test user, and that indeed did work. That user was a normal, non-admin user.

My user is an admin user, and it's also managed, using a Microsoft Active Directory system. It is my work computer. My unix group is "US\domai" with the slash in it. It's also marked as a Mobile user in Accounts.

1) I can give my G5 iMac at home a try to see if it will work there, but I believe based on the new user test above, we've ruled out network issues.

2) I've tried many many different ways. I'm on the corporate LAN here. I've used both wired and wireless at home. I've tried a Verizon wireless network card. I've tried a hotel network, as well. No joy on any.

3) I thought I saw AccUpdater work when I first installed the Starter Pack. After I installed the Scholar's edition, it didn't work. Maybe I'll uninstall it all, and then reinstall from the CDs. (deleting all the pref files, etc).

4) No other widgets have problems.

5) The Accordance widget works just fine.

Patrick

I would agree that it isn't a network issue, given both that your test user worked and all of your other configurations still did not work. I wouldn't want you reinstalling Accordance first, as I am somewhat doubtful the problem is being caused by Accordance. I've sent you a private message containing my mod.txt file, which works fine on my machine, and is the only interaction between the widget and accordance. If that file fails to work, that will rule out your Accordance installation at all.

My suspicions are upon the Microsoft Active Directory system or the Mobile accounts setting. Unfortunately, I have never directly dealt with either configurations, so I am not sure if they could have any effect on the widget. Is there any way for you to recreate step-by-step the setup of your current account on that test account, to see if at some point the widget starts failing? Perhaps first bless it an admin account, then enable the Active Directory, finally creating it to be Mobile? These could be infeasible things to ask as I'm not sure what such setups involve, but it is where my suspicion is leading me.

I would also be curious about your G5 iMac at home. If it also is under a similar setup (Active Directory or a Mobile user) I would be curious if the widget did work there.

The test user I created cannot be added to AD or given the Mobile settings. It would take a network admin from the company to do that, and I doubt they'll help on this. I did make that account an admin, and it still worked.

The G5 is neither AD nor Mobile, and can't be made that way either.

Patrick

As seen in the Announcements forum, the AccUpdater widget 2.2.1 has been posted here. It fixes a few text display bugs, among which was Patricks problem. Essentially, he was completely up-to-date, but the widget failed to tell him so, so we all thought there was a problem!

Archived