International Standard Version

Robert N

Is the International Standard Version in the works for Accordance?

• Like 1

I am not familiar with this version at all.

The ISV has been in development for a number of years, but is supposed to reach completion this year. It does not have any kind of widespread exposure yet, but it does have a vocal core group of supporters (of which I am not one as I have not had the time to look at it in detail). Another Bible software company has announced plans for an electronic edition, but I can't imagine there would be any widespread demand for the ISV yet or even in the near-future.

The ISV Wikipedia article gives an overview of translational flavor and characteristics, and there is also a main ISV website.

The people a Logos seem to think it worth their efforts Not only do they include the ISV NT in their current packages, but they are in Pre_Pub development for the ISV OT as well. Here is the link to their pre-Pub info...

http://www.logos.com...tandard-version

I wonder that Accordance doesn't try a similar model to get more works published by letting customers bid for their preferred work and order at pre-Pub prices.

The ISV has been in development for a number of years, but is supposed to reach completion this year. It does not have any kind of widespread exposure yet, but it does have a vocal core group of supporters (of which I am not one as I have not had the time to look at it in detail). Another Bible software company has announced plans for an electronic edition, but I can't imagine there would be any widespread demand for the ISV yet or even in the near-future.

The ISV Wikipedia article gives an overview of translational flavor and characteristics, and there is also a main ISV website.

Edited by Robert N
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would humbly (and somewhat defensively, anticipating a possible backlash) suggest that Oaktree put their limited resources towards more commentaries, dictionaries, and other established and broadly helpful reference and exegetical tools, than towards minor English versions.

With the wide (and excellent) range of English versions available within Accordance (from Wyclif to the NIV11), dare I ask "Do we need any more English versions?"

~Alistair

• Like 1

I would still like to see additional Bibles and Study Bibles as well as other tools myself.

I would humbly (and somewhat defensively, anticipating a possible backlash) suggest that Oaktree put their limited resources towards more commentaries, dictionaries, and other established and broadly helpful reference and exegetical tools, than towards minor English versions.

With the wide (and excellent) range of English versions available within Accordance (from Wyclif to the NIV11), dare I ask "Do we need any more English versions?"

~Alistair

• Like 1

~Alistair

I've begun to wonder about that myself. I can see updating existing translations as more manuscripts are found, English changes, and continued research suggests adjustments to improve a translation. But it seems as if a saturation point of English translations has been reached. After all, there are only so many ways you translate straightforward passages. (If someone comes out with a new translation which uses the "modern" grammatical construct of "Jesus, He said

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, Logos has added the ISV Bible to their offerings for $15.

Here are some comments from notables regarding this translation...

Praise for the Print Edition

"A truly excellent version, combining both dignity and fine taste. Personally I think it has succeeded in achieving what the most recent publications have attempted. Hearty Congratulations. This should be adopted for Sunday School purposes, and easily equals the NIV and NAS, so far as I have sampled it." —Dr. Gleason Archer, Professor of Old Testament emeritus

"The arrival of the International Standard Version has solved a longstanding problem for me. For years I have had two Bibles, one for study and one for public use, such as speaking. My study Bible was reliable, but not very readable, even out loud. My preaching Bible was wonderful, but not a completely reliable translation. The International Standard Version is a perfect blend of the two. Now I can have readability for preaching or personal devotion, but with a reliable and up to date translation from Evangelical scholars who believe in the inspiration of the scripture." —Rich Buhler, Talk Show Host and Speaker, Branches Communications

"After perusing the ISV, I was agreeably surprised and impressed. The goal of making the translation "literal and idiomatic" has certainly been achieved. The readability and reliability is delightful. I believe this translation should be well received and appreciated."

—Dr. Jack MacArthur, Voice of Calvary

"I have not been a fan of the modern translations, but the International Standard Version New Testament is a refreshing exception! Terrific! In my opinion, the ISV truly is the most readable and accurate English language translation of the Bible ever produced. When the Old Testament is completed, I plan to undertake a Prophecy Bible using the ISV."

—Chuck Missler, Koinonia House Ministries

"In the midst of a flood of erroneous so-called new translations of the Bible, it is refreshing to find the International Standard Version of the New Testament. It is up-to-date in modern research and Greek syntax and grammar, yet it is easy to read. I recommend this translation to anyone who wants a reliable study Bible.

—Dr. Robert A. Morey, FaithDefenders

In Praise of the ISV: Presenting the Ancient Multiformity of the Text

The International Standard Version (ISV) is a very promising work in progress. An innovative feature it has begun to incorporate in the notes to its translation of the Bible is an account of significant variants found among the Second Temple biblical manuscripts found at Qumran and elsewhere in Judean desert. Peter Flint, an excellent Dead Sea Scrolls scholar, is responsible for this aspect of ISV. The latest draft, v1.4.8, like those that went before, is available online. ISV Psalms and Proverbs now contain a set of textual footnotes the thoroughness of which, with respect to the Dead Sea Scrolls, is unparalleled in other available translations.

— Ancient Hebrew Poetry website (http://ancienthebrew...f-the-text.html)

If the English language is changing and we are constantly learning more, then it would follow that updated and new translations are warranted. I have been watching the requests for the Orthodox Bible and the Common English Bible interest to see if those who commented here suggesting Accordance not invest in additional translations would make similar suggestions regarding these other translations. We will see. For myself I think more commentaries and more translations are both acceptable providing they are true to the LORD. I would like to see Accordance offer the ISV as well as the Orthodox Bible, and the Defenders Study Bible or offer the ability to import them from Logos or the STEP format to those who own them in those formats (presuming that is acceptable). I also think it would be wise to poll the customer base to see what they are wanting to purchase on Accordance. I even think pre-release pre-purchases that would only bill upon release and final approval is a worthy course of action. As an Accordance user I would be willing to pledge a pre-purchase of all three of these which exhibits a greater commitment than a request. In at least one case I would go even further and be willing to invest in the project. If there were a non-profit foundation set up to promote the electronic dissemination of worthy works I would be willing to support it as well assuming I agreed with its goals and founding principles.

Edited by Robert N
  • Like 1

Robert,

We can certainly look into providing the ISV. Which resources end up in the pipeline depends on a variety of factors: the level of interest in the resource, the progress of negotiating a license, the condition of the e-text, and the priority we place on it in light of other projects being worked on. You, our users, can't do much about the license negotiations or condition of the e-text, but you can help us determine priority by acting as squeaky wheels here on the forums. By looking at how many people request items here on the forum, we get a pretty good sense of which items should be our highest priorities.

So far the interest in the ISV on this forum has not been great, but you certainly don't have to worry about us dismissing a new translation out-of-hand simply because we have plenty of Bibles already. While I appreciate the sentiments of those who wonder why we need yet another translation, we're always open to adding new translations if there is sufficient interest in it.

Would being able to pre-order items help bring items to market faster? Probably not, and we're just not comfortable with the idea of selling stuff we don't actually have yet. If you want to show us that the ISV should be a priority, you are welcome to sell us on it (as you did by quoting favorable reviews). Continue to make your case for why this translation is important to have and I imagine other users will eventually chime in and say, "Yeah, okay, I guess I'd buy it too."

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thank you for your encouraging reply. http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The ISV is now at version 2.0 and e-Sword is yet another Bible s/w provider that offers it. Let's take a look at who is offering it...

• Logos with over 800,000 users worldwide offers it. $10 On Sale for Christmas.

• e-Sword with over 15,000,000 downloads over its existence and 3.5 million just in 2010 offers it.

• Over 5,000,000 electronic copies of the ISV New Testament have been distributed worldwide.

• It is available at Biblios.com

• It is available as a digital edition from Amazon.com , Apple iTunes, Barnes and Noble, et. al.

• It can be read on Kindles, and Android

"The ISV is the first modern Bible translation in any language to provide an exclusive textual apparatus comparing the text of the famed Dead Sea Scrolls with the traditional Masoretic text of the Hebrew Tanakh "

• For the Tanakh, or Old Testament, the Masoretic text as published in the latest editions of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia and Quinta is used as the base text, in consultation with other ancient Hebrew texts such as the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Samaritan Pentateuch, and a select number of ancient versions (the Septuagint, the Vulgate, the Syriac Peshitta, and the Targums). All significant departures from the base text, as well as all significant textual variants, are indicated in footnotes. With respect to the book of Isaiah, Qumran Cave 1's Great Isaiah Scroll (1QIsa) was used, along with certain other Dead Sea Scroll manuscripts, as the base text for translation, with the MT secondarily consulted for variants to 1QIsa.

The ISV is a totally new work translated directly from the original languages of Scripture and derived from no other English translation; it references the most ancient manuscripts available, and the most recent archaeological discoveries. The translators of the ISV have selected the English equivalent that most closely reflects the meaning of the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts.

It appears to me that there is no other modern translation as current with the DSS or the MT as this seeing this version takes into account what has been produced in the in progress BHQ.

If I am wrong in this let me know. The point is that this isn't fringe and it seems to be growing not shrinking. My guess is that it has more ubiquity than a number of translations Accordance already has available. It is also my guess that the ISV Foundation would be very willing to work with Accordance. They have already worked successfully with Logos and e-Sword and I don't know who else. I think Accordance at least needs to make contact and get the lay of the land for an ISV module for Accordance.

The ISV is also released electronically in a number of popular electronic Bible formats such as Logos® Bible Software, e-sword®, Bible+®, in formats compatible with a number of personal data assistants and mobile phones such as the Android®, Blackberry®, iPhone®, iPad®, iPod®, etc., and in formats compatible with a number of personal ebook readers such as the Barnes and Nobles Nook® and the Amazon Kindle®. Most of these electronic editions are downloadable from http://davidsonpress.com (the Davidson Press web site), or through links located on the ISV Foundation’s web site at http://isv.org/.

Edited by Robert N
  • Like 1

Just a note: You can't post html into the forums or it looks like the post above... :P

Forums use a syntax all there own called BBCode which is similar in some respects to HTML, but very limited is application and usage.

Here is post #11 more readable:

The ISV is now at version 2.0 and e-Sword is yet another Bible s/w provider that offers it. Logos with over 800,000 users worldwide offers it. e-Sword with over 15,000,000 downloads over its existence and 3.5 million just in 2010 offers it. It is available at Biblios.com and it is available as a digital edition from Amazon.com , Apple iTunes, Barnes and Noble, et. al.

Here are

Some other reasons

The ISV is the first modern Bible translation in any language to provide an exclusive textual apparatus comparing the text of the famed Dead Sea Scrolls with the traditional Masoretic text of the Hebrew Tanakh (i.e., the "Old Testament").

• Over 5,000,000 electronic copies of the ISV New Testament have been distributed worldwide.
  • The first press run sold out in less than a month.
  • The second press run sold out before it was printed.
  • The ISV has been universally praised for its readability and accuracy.
  • The ISV is respected by professional Bible translators.
  • The ISV is the only translation in any language that includes the book of Isaiah from the Dead Sea Scrolls.
  • Other Dead Sea Scrolls translations are coming soon.

The ISV is a totally new work translated directly from the original languages of Scripture and derived from no other English translation; it references the most ancient manuscripts available, and the most recent archaeological discoveries. The translators of the ISV have selected the English equivalent that most closely reflects the meaning of the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts. To learn more about the ISV, download the Introduction PDF here.

Thanks Ryan... I think it is improved now. :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

It has been over a year since the first request for the ISV. The users of Logos, e-Sword, WordSearch (and therefore QuickVerse), Kindle, Nook, Android, Adobe Reader, Biblos.com, and theWord have it, but Accordance users do not. Can you let us know the status of this translation's availability on Accordance?

Edited by Robert N
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hello there!

I am surprised that no one is requesting the ISV. I echo all of the positive comments. I would love to have Accordance have the ISV available. I much prefer Accordance to Logos, though I have both. 

I like the ISV because of the freshness of the language along with a fairly literal translation. It seems to render some difficult passages better. I have found that some incremental translations (NIV, NASB, NKJV, etc.) do not deviate much from their roots. It is nice to see a truly fresh translation that seems to read really well, and is obviously not beholden to any extant translation or textual family relations. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have a tagged text so I can confirm the Hebrew or Greek under the text to study any apparently novel readings.

I did not know about this forum until I did a live chat. I don't think interest here is the best litmus test of whether a translation shows interest. It could also mean that supporters of the text have given up and gone elsewhere.

What does everyone think?

Stephen DeNagy, MD, ASCP

• Like 1

Hello there!

I am surprised that no one is requesting the ISV. I echo all of the positive comments. I would love to have Accordance have the ISV available. I much prefer Accordance to Logos, though I have both. 

I like the ISV because of the freshness of the language along with a fairly literal translation. It seems to render some difficult passages better. I have found that some incremental translations (NIV, NASB, NKJV, etc.) do not deviate much from their roots. It is nice to see a truly fresh translation that seems to read really well, and is obviously not beholden to any extant translation or textual family relations. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have a tagged text so I can confirm the Hebrew or Greek under the text to study any apparently novel readings.

I did not know about this forum until I did a live chat. I don't think interest here is the best litmus test of whether a translation shows interest. It could also mean that supporters of the text have given up and gone elsewhere.

What does everyone think?

Stephen DeNagy, MD, ASCP

We have a number of projects underway, and in queue. We are also actively working on obtaining more international Bible translations. That said, I have forwarded this on for consideration, but cannot promise if or when it will be available in Accordance.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Good morning. I use Accordance everyday and am very appreciative of the many English versions they offer. I constantly have E-sword open as well just to consult with the ISV Translation. I feel that the ISV is an indispensable tool for those of us who don't speak Greek or Hebrew. It is a fully new translation and not a refresh of any previous work. It uses different source texts for Isaiah than other translation and brings a wider range of meaning to the scriptures than do most English translations that tend to copy each other. Of course I would love to have it tagged, but I would settle for just a basic text that shows up in the Verse Lookup window in Accordance. Please evaluate afresh which versions should be priority and give a good look at the ISV as something considerably different and useful. Thank You!

• Like 1

If the Wikipedia website is correct a version 3.0 should be released soon. 

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Scott Henderson said:

Any chance this made the list for consideration??

Looks like the ISV committee never renewed their website URL. Anyone have some contact info?

• Like 1

Maybe this helps

Permission requests for non-commercial use of the ISV that exceed the above guidelines must be directed to and approved in writing by the ISV Foundation. Direct email inquiries to the ISV Foundation at info@isv.org or visit http://isv.org. 

Published by Davidson Press, LLC. Please direct comments to Davidson Press at isv@davidsonpress.com. Please direct notices of errata to errata@isv.org. Visit our web site at http://davidsonpress.com. 

Cover Design by Larry Vilott (copyright © 2001–2011 Davidson Press, LLC). Text Layout: Charles Welty. Cover Graphic (ISBN 978-1-891833-20-5 and 978-1-891833-24-3 only): Sunset over Earth © 1993 Corel Corporation.

Thanks Fabian. A request has been sent to the publisher.

• Like 2