Detaching a detached tab crashes Accordance

Abram K-J

I know it sounds silly to talk about detaching a detached tab, but I was curious: How can I reattach a tab I've detached? I know about the option to "Magnify this Zone," but I'm asking about detaching a single tab specifically. I can reproduce this with multiple workspaces, tabs, etc.: I detach the tab, then try to detached the detached tab, and Accordance crashes.

Yes, I know, there's no point in detaching something already detached--except I was trying to see if I could reattach it that way.

(Is there a way to "reattach" a detached tab? Like how you can magnify the zone and then de-magnify back to your workspace as it was before you magnified?)

I always hesitate to put a topic in "Bug Swatters," because who knows if it's actually a bug, but this does strike me as odd behavior, at least. If nothing else, shouldn't the attempt to detach something already detached just do nothing, rather than crash the program? Can others reproduce this?

I just tried it. Did it twice without crashing Accordance. But after I closed the trial workspace used to reproduce your crash, Accordance did in fact crash abruptly (I had two other workspaces open at the time).

I confirm that Detach Tab crashes Accordance if it is the only tab, and the Library is open. This bug needs fixing. The item is dimmed in the Window menu but not in the right-click menu on the tab.

However, the way to return any tab from another workspace is simply to drag it to the first workspace and drop it as a tab or to create a new zone.

• Like 1

Okay--thanks to both of you. Helen, when this bug is looked at, would it be possible to also explore the possibility of a right-click menu choice to essentially re-attach that tab (if it's in detached state)?

• Like 1

Actually, looking at this again, I get the crash even if it's not the only tab... and in attempting to return a tab to its first/original workspace, the same crash happens.

The crashes are fixed for the next rev, but a re-attach is not realistic, how would Accordance know where you wanted it?

Excellent. Thanks, Helen, for having these fixed.

The dragging back option is helpful; I didn't know about that before. I can do that now.

I was trying to re-attach via right-click because I'd seen that done in Logos in a multi-tabbed workspace, so thought it might be possible here.

Though now that I think about it, one of the things that I really don't prefer about Logos is that you can't have more than one "workspace" open at a time, and perhaps the fact that you can have multiple ones open in Accordance (one of my favorite features) means that it wouldn't know what workspace to put the tab back into?

But I have no idea how Accordance would know where I wanted it--I'm not a coder or software developer.

Excellent. Thanks, Helen, for having these fixed.

The dragging back option is helpful; I didn't know about that before. I can do that now.

Dragging to detach and dragging to reattach are common practices used with tabs in Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc. but hadn't thought of it in Accordance until you mentioned it.

• 4 years later...

Now that I have 3 screen (native MacBook and 2 external monitors) the ability to reattach/redock tab would be awesome. 

Any chance we can add this as an incremental feature? 

Thank you!