Syncing Accordance across Multiple Macs

Ron Bailey

I am sure this question will have been asked before but I can't find and answer through the search option.

I have a MacMini in my garden studio where I do most of my work. I also have a MacBook which I use in the home and when travelling.

I have my MacBook Accordance setup in a way which just suits me fine. How do I get the same setup on my MacMini?

Do I have to painstakingly reproduce all the workspaces and settings I use on my MacBook or is there an easier way?

Thanks

This is an excellent question as it reminds us all that these files need to be backed up if you don't want to lose your settings, saved files, notes, highlights etc.

We don't currently allow automatic synching of the files between computers, but if you copy:

• user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences folder
  • user/Documents/Accordance Files folder

from one Mac to another, and assuming you have the same modules on both Macs, both copies of Accordance will look identical.

Thank you Helen.

hmmm?

now what have I done?

I am getting these two messages.

post-382-12797217001_thumb.jpg

post-382-127972171222_thumb.jpg

How did you copy the files? You seem to have lost the file type. This happens sometimes when copying from a backup.

Hoe did you copy the files? You seem to have lost the file type. This happens sometimes when copying from a backup.

I simply did a copy and paste.

May I just pop in another question here! Is it possible to just sync the Library folder between two computers?

Thanks,

Kevin

Not really, since it contains info about texts and tools etc. as well as the arrangement.

Try dragging them from one location to another.

Hello Helen

I have tried just dragging them. I am getting the same two error messages.

Ron

Hello Helen

I have tried just dragging them. I am getting the same two error messages.

Ron

Hi Helen

any more thoughts?

Joe Weaks prepared a utility which helps you fix the file types. Please try that, and try repairing your permissions with Disk utility.

Joe Weaks prepared a utility which helps you fix the file types. Please try that, and try repairing your permissions with Disk utility.

Hello Helen

I have used the Repair Permissions but it has not made any observable difference.

I will try Joe's fix.

Hello Helen

I have used the Repair Permissions but it has not made any observable difference.

I will try Joe's fix.

Joe's fix upzipped as a png and 2 apps but no instructions as to how I am to use them.

Joe's fix upzipped as a png and 2 apps but no instructions as to how I am to use them.

It is a droplet. Drag & drop the corrupt files on to the droplet and it should correct them. I would try AccordanceFileTypeFixer first.

It is a droplet. Drag & drop the corrupt files on to the droplet and it should correct them. I would try AccordanceFileTypeFixer first.

OK that seems to have cured the 'General' file; at least it is not reporting an error any more but "Module Installation Log" is still reporting as before so I still can't access my Accordance.

You can delete the log. It's not needed, it's just for reference by tech support. You may need to "fix" the other Preference files.

You can delete the log. It's not needed, it's just for reference by tech support. You may need to "fix" the other Preference files.

I did delete the 'log'.

Both the 'files' have now reappeared. The 'log' is recreated each time I try to launch Accordance and with the immediate error message.

I think something is wrong with your Mac or your setup, if Accordance is creating files that it cannot access. I would like to screenshare, have written to you directly, but you need to schedule a time as my internet access in Estonia is limited at times. Maybe someone in the US can offer to help.

I think something is wrong with your Mac or your setup, if Accordance is creating files that it cannot access. I would like to screenshare, have written to you directly, but you need to schedule a time as my internet access in Estonia is limited at times. Maybe someone in the US can offer to help.

I would be grateful if someone could help.

no one has volunteered from the US. I can use Accordance on my MacBook until you get back, but I would be grateful if you could contact me again when you are home.

I keep trying to contact you on Skype but you do not reply to me. I am closer to you in time now, and at times have good internet access. Please approve me on Skype, and keep yours on so that we can connect.

We did make contact and solved the mystery. There was a file type problem from the original transfer, but then the secnd time the files were transferred to the user but not to the exact correct locations, so all his attempts to fix them were to no avail since Accordance was ignoring them. We moved those files into the correct location, and bingo! Accordance ran.

This illustrates once again that screensharing (vis Skype or iChat) revolutionizes tech support.

I have come across this problem a few times. This solution always works for me: take the folders and create a zip file before copying them. Carry them over manually on a USB memory stick and then unzip them on the new computer. I find that some files become corrupted using the traditional method..

Paul

This illustrates once again that screensharing (vis Skype or iChat) revolutionizes tech support.

What this doesn't tell you is the level of commitment that Accordance has for its users. I began this thread on this forum and within less than an hour the process of solving it had begun. When we hit problems Helen tried to contact me to arrange a screen sharing Skype session. That would be impressive but Helen was in Estonia! When we finally made contact she was on a ferry heading for Finland. At 10.30pm, Finland time, from her hotel room we finally made contact and she talked me through what had happened with the mild chaos I had created in my Mac folder system. She could not have got to bed before 11pm. I have found this kind of support nowhere else in the over 30 years of computing! I have found it in the ordering of different modules too. Accordance support must be among the industry's best! Well done Accordance and many thanks Helen for your late night patience after a busy day!

Archived