scrolling is not accurate

Ploni

One frustration I have with Accordance is when I am trying scroll through a biblical text from one verse to the next. The scrolling does not go from one verse to the next but simply moves the text up, sometimes not at all accurately. If I use the keyboard shortcut CMD + arrow down I am able to get the result I desire but I find it cumbersome to have to use the keyboard. Is there a feature that allows the user to scroll or click to the next verse or paragraph or chapter with greater accuracy?

There are buttons on the bottom left that take you to the next verse or chapter, and a shift-click jumps 10 of the selected unit.

Thanks. I forgot about those buttons probably because they are in such an odd place. Ideally they should be at the top of the window, just above the first displayed verse.

There are buttons on the bottom left that take you to the next verse or chapter, and a shift-click jumps 10 of the selected unit.

Another feature that I've often thought would be helpful when reading bible text or especially when going through some of the longer passages in something like the Tyndale Bible Commentary (which will sometimes have passages long enough to require me hitting the "page down" key on my keyboard more than once) would be the existence of an additional down pointing arrow on the bottom of the Accordance browser.

It could be just to the right of the "up" and "down" book arrows. By use of the mouse then I could easily sit back and read a lengthy passage by just clicking on the arrows and not have to reach up to the keyboard to press the "page down" key (pretty lazy, I guess). That would be ideal.

Another possibility would be to do like the web browsers do- allow hitting the space bar at the bottom of the keyboard (It wouldn't require looking up to the keyboard to find the "page down" button and could be done with very little effort.

I know that I can use the mouse to "scroll" but frequently it will scroll too far if I'm not careful. Likewise, I can go through the bible verses one verse at a time by clicking the "down" verse arrow- but sometimes I just want to read the text without having each individual commentary item pop up for each verse.

Perhaps something like this already exists in Accordance, if so please let me know.

Thanks

If you click the scroll bar beneath the scroll thumb (the blue thing that moves), Accordance will page down so that the last line of text becomes the top line of text (that way you don't lose your place).

Beyond that, it sounds like you need to try using the auto-scroll feature. Select an auto-scroll speed (medium is best) in the Appearance section of the Preferences. Once auto-scrolling is turned on, you can command-click on the down scroll arrow to have the text scroll like a teleprompter. You can only have one pane in the Search window, and you may need to adjust the font size to get the speed right. You can click to stop the scrolling if you fall behind, then command-click again to start it auto-scrolling once more. It's a great way to read without distraction.

David,

Thanks for your answer. I see that the page scrolling option can indeed be implemented with the mouse. Also, I see now

that it is covered on page 49 of the 7.4 instruction pdf manual. Mac users prefer not to read documentation but I see

it's beneficial to do so. I guess it's one of those things built into the Mac operating system that I never learned since

usually the number of pages included on a website are relatively few and I usually either click the space bar or drag the

scroll bar (which doesn't work too well when you may have a few hundred pages of text available to scroll.

This makes reading a LOT more enjoyable so I'm glad I asked the question.

Thanks again,

Jim

Archived