Accordance 10: bugs report?

Olivier Zalmanski

Hello,

I think I found a bug in the new (wonderful!) Accordance 10: "Copy as Citation" of Hebrew texts (with "Yehudit" font and letters reversion) does not seem to work well anymore – I tried to copy some verses in Mellel, Pages and TextEdit without any success.

If that is not a bug, thanks to help me out!

Best regards,

Olivier

Edited by Olivier Zalmanski

Thanks a lot for the new update of Accordance, which fixes the "Look for" / "triple click" tool.

Concerning the "Copy as Citation", I still have a problem as you can see on the screenshots: I tried to copy Gn 1:2-5

1) in an Apple application (Mail);

2) in an non-Apple application (Mellel – a Word processor app, specialized in combinations of writings from right to left and left to right, which worked very well for me with Accordance 9).

Regards

post-31001-0-94900200-1345611258_thumb.png

post-31001-0-77398600-1345611264_thumb.png

Edited by Olivier Zalmanski

Thanks a lot for the new update of Accordance, which fixes the "Look for" / "triple click" tool.

Concerning the "Copy as Citation", I still have a problem as you can see on the screenshots: I tried to copy Gn 1:2-5

1) in an Apple application (Mail);

2) in an non-Apple application (Mellel – a Word processor app, specialized in combinations of writings from right to left and left to right, which worked very well for me with Accordance 9).

Regards

Can you attach a copy of your citation prefs? I am seeing something odd, but not exactly as your shot shows.

What MacOS version? Also, can you attach a copy of your Greek/Hebrew prefs?

MacOS 10.8, and the Hebrew & Greek preferences is yet attached with the precedent file :-)

MacOS 10.8, and the Hebrew & Greek preferences is yet attached with the precedent file :-)

Sorry! I see it now. :blink:

Ok, I am seeing some unexpected items here, but not exactly as you report. I suspect it's a difference between 10.7.4 and 10.8. I will need to get with one of the app developers to look into this more. We have noticed other issues with exporting text, and have planned to address those, but v.10 had precedence.

I do not mention this to shift away from this issue, but have you considered using Unicode export with Mellel? I did not notice any issues, and it also ensures cross-platform compatibility. Just a general tip, we'll still look into the issue described above.

Thanks for the report.

Thanks again for your answer

(yes, I tried to export in Unicode: it works well, but that's not the same!)

Regards

Hi Olivier, interested in your comment there "it's not the same".

I find unicode export to be quite superior to exporting with yehudit and/or helena. In what way do you prefer the non-unicode export?

(Speaking as a fellow Mellel user)

Indeed, I made some tests in Unicode, and provided that I find a font which I like (instead of the default Lucida...), I acknowledge that there is a good potential in that export method.

Maybe I have never used it because I simply haven't found such a font until now: then if you have some fonts to advice me, don't hesitate to send me a personal message in order to share me your tips!

Sincerely

Indeed, I made some tests in Unicode, and provided that I find a font which I like (instead of the default Lucida...), I acknowledge that there is a good potential in that export method.

Maybe I have never used it because I simply haven't found such a font until now: then if you have some fonts to advice me, don't hesitate to send me a personal message in order to share me your tips!

Sincerely

Here are few free fonts to consider:

SBL Hebrew link

Cardo link

New Peninim MT (installed with MacOS)

Here are few free fonts to consider:

SBL Hebrew link

Cardo link

New Peninim MT (installed with MacOS)

But isn't this only a partial solution? There's currently no way to export aparatus symbols correctly in unicode, and not even as non-unicode unless one first manually installs Accordance fonts into one of the fonts folders. It seems to me the unicode way long has been, and will certainly be, the way of the future. I think Accordance should develop a set of high quality unicode fonts that get installed as part of Accordance installation, rather than leaving it for the users to hunt down suitable fonts. And I do not think the Font Fixer is a solution either. If I remember correctly, the Font Fixer was first released to address a problem that showed up a few versions ago. I had hoped to see the root cause of the issue dealt with, rather than keeping alive the workaround for the problem.

But isn't this only a partial solution? There's currently no way to export aparatus symbols correctly in unicode, and not even as non-unicode unless one first manually installs Accordance fonts into one of the fonts folders. It seems to me the unicode way long has been, and will certainly be, the way of the future. I think Accordance should develop a set of high quality unicode fonts that get installed as part of Accordance installation, rather than leaving it for the users to hunt down suitable fonts. And I do not think the Font Fixer is a solution either. If I remember correctly, the Font Fixer was first released to address a problem that showed up a few versions ago. I had hoped to see the root cause of the issue dealt with, rather than keeping alive the workaround for the problem.

The issue in the original post seems to be related to how text is exported from Accordance via RTF flavors; one which has been reported before and is on the list to be addressed.

Regarding Unicode, unless I'm mistaken, there are code points that support all the sigla used in text criticism. Whether there are free fonts that map these to the correct characters is another story. I believe Cardo and SBL Hebrew probably are the best free ones for Hebrew (others in the field can verify exact mileage). Whether we should bundle these in the app, or provide better support for the use of Unicode export from Accordance seems to be a separate discussion. I can see how it might help, but ultimately it's the user's preference as to what fonts they want to use. But, I admit it can be confusing and we could probably help in the process; just don't know exactly what that looks like at this point.