Retina Display

Helen Brown

It may be a while before we can support retina display. If you have it on a new MBP, can you comment on how Accordance looks, and have you found a way to improve the appearance.

This article looked helpful.

I got my retina display MBP a couple of weeks ago. I'm not bothered too much by apps that have not been updated for the retina display as I was afraid I'd be. The text in Accordance is more fuzzy/blurry, but not so much that it keeps me from using it. In fact, all "regular" Macs in general look a bit fuzzy to me after using the retina display Mac over the past two weeks, so it's not too much different than trying to go back to use another computer.

Initially I was a bit nervous having read some articles that said apps not updated looked horrible, but I find this to be an exaggeration. They simply don't look as good.

I don't know of any way to improve the appearance, but I'd be interested to hear any tricks from others.

Initially I was a bit nervous having read some articles that said apps not updated looked horrible, but I find this to be an exaggeration. They simply don't look as good.

I agree with Rick, namely, that those who claim non-retina apps look 'horrible' are exaggerating things a touch. What's most troublesome for me is to switch between an app that supports rMBP and one that doesn't. Here's a screen shot compare:

You can see the crispness of the text in Safari, while the text in Accordance has haze about it. My main text editor doesn't support rMBP, so it appears much like Accordance. To switch back and forth between a retina supported and non-retina app begins to play tricks on my eyes (and eventually the crispness will blur as well).

If I work in Accordance for an extended amount of time, I've found that if I move the display setting to the one above "best for retina" it's a bit easier to read. Or, if I am at my desk I push Accordance to the External Display.

EDIT: I just downloaded the attached image, and it seems the quality isn't truly reflected in Safari. The text in Safari doesn't have any blur, and is very crisp.

Edited by James Tucker

There's a nice reflective essay about the Retina Display MBP, posted by John Gruber today: "Pixel Perfect." It takes him a while to actually get to the point about the retina display, but his experience is very similar to mine and a lot of others I've talked to: once you use this machine, you don't really want to use a "regular" computer again, even if it's a Mac.

In my experiences, this "pixel prejudice" develops subtly. The quality of the retina display is immediately apparent if you use one of these machines, but it's downright jarring if you've become (even unconsciously) accustomed to it, and then you try to use a different Mac. Kathy wanted me to proofread something she had written on her MacBook Air. As she handed it to me and I began trying to refocus my eyes to her screen, I pondered the possibility of just emailing the document to myself so that I could read it on my retina display Mac. I didn't actually end up doing that since it was only one page, but I do confess I seriously considered it.

Edited by R. Mansfield

• 3 months later...

I probably won't upgrade to 10 unless the Retina display is added. Logos 4 is quite beautiful, if, as it has been always, a bit of a drag to navigate. I'm a long time user of Accordance and still use it, but not having the Retina display makes it not very pleasant.

• 3 months later...

Just got my rMBP and big disappointment in Accordance not being up to par on the visuals... fuzzy text through and through.

Any more news on when this might be updated?

Thanks.

I've had my 15" rMBP since they were first released. While at first, the non-retina apps are a bit glaring, I can say that you kinda get used to it after a while and don't think about it. Nevertheless, Accordance is about the last "primary" program I use that hasn't been updated yet, so I'll be glad when it is fully compatible with the retina display.

Its still extremely high priority to us, and we are devoting much of our development resources towards it. I can't give you a date yet, except 'soon'.

• 3 weeks later...

Just LOVING Accordance on my new MBPro Retina display. It rocks! No doubt getting better...

• 3 weeks later...

Wish I could say the same thing Charles....

Is there still no update/eta on RETINA DISPLAY compatibility ???

• 1 month later...

Is there any update from the developers on when we can expect Retina Display support?

• 4 months later...

Just picked up a rMBP last week and was surprised to see retina in Accordance not supported. Is there any update on this?

Thank you.

-Adam.

The developers are still working on it. It's no mean task to update code that still works but was written 20 years ago, and is part of a complex and powerful application like Accordance. They need to do it right and not break Accordance in the process.

Helen,

Thank you for the reply. I'm wondering... should I return my rMBP in favor of a MacBook Air? Do you think the development will take another year still, or is this possibly an update in the coming months?

Thank you.

I'm wondering... should I return my rMBP in favor of a MacBook Air?

Adam, keep your rMBP. I use Accordance nearly every day, and while I look forward to it being updated for retina Macs, you kind of get used to it after a while. And the retina screens are so nice that you won't want to use anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I just switch from Macbook Air to the new Macbook Pro with retina display. The text is blurrier than MBA. I used to set the font size quite small (size 10) , would you please tell me when would there be an update for retina display??

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to put in my 2 cents. My MBP died and I stepped up to rMBP. The text fonts in Accordance are really grating now. Looks like I've got on bad glasses. Looking forward to seeing fonts within Accordance as good as the ones I'm now typing on within Accordance forums. Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

Our developers are actively working on this issue, but it is taking longer than we hoped due to the amount of code that needs to be updated in our case. We understand that this is an important issue to many of our users, and please understand that it is important to us too. We will be sure to provide an ETA once we have a better idea of when retina support will be available. In the meantime, we are extremely grateful for your patience.

Thanks for the update Darin. Here's hoping that they can manage the update sooner than later!

Just ordered a rMBP. Here's hoping the experience with Accordance isn't too painful.

Wanted to put in my 2 cents. My MBP died and I stepped up to rMBP. The text fonts in Accordance are really grating now. Looks like I've got on bad glasses. Looking forward to seeing fonts within Accordance as good as the ones I'm now typing on within Accordance forums. Thanks!

Just got a new rMBP just over a week ago. I've found that going into the display preferences and increasing the resolution to "more space" makes it easier on the eyes. It's not ideal, especially since this shrinks the UI elements, but it works. The other work-around is a second monitor, though that's not always a good option when mobile.

Just got my Retina MBP. Unfortunately the Accordance experience is awful.

I totally understand the decision to develop a Windows Version of Accordance in order to broaden the market but unfortunately for Mac users it looks like we are getting pushed off centre stage. Larger development houses seemed to be able to update their Mac and Windows versions both quickly but for a smaller company like Accordance choices have to be made.

I understand it completely but it still stings a little.

Edited by jeremyduncan