2aorist or aorist?

Robb B

In Matt 14.9, 11; 26.9; 28.18; John 12.5; Luke 8.55; Mark 6.2; 13.11; 14.5, the word didomi appears as an aorist verb. The GNT-BEZ tags each instance of this verb as a 2aorist in these verses, while the GNT-T tags them as aorist. Interestingly, GNT-TIS follows GNT-T exactly, but GNT-TR does not. In Mtt 14.9 and Lk 8.55 The GNT-TR tags these as 2aorist even though they are identical to GNT-T and those that agree with it. GNT-WH follows suit with GNT-T. According to Mounce's Biblical Greek Morphology, didomi is always a first aorist when it is passive (p. 86), which all of these forms are. Am I missing something, or is this a minor error in the tagging of GNT-BEZ and GNT-TR?

Yes, you have pointed out some inconsistencies in the tagging (which are way beyond my understanding). Our scholar promises to review the issue and attempt to deal with them, but he also says "There are different philosophies in terms of tagging as 2Aorist."

I relayed your information to my pastor in attempts to get an answer for you. Here's what he said.

The First aorist stem is EDOKA and the Second Aorist stem is EDON. The Aorist Passive and Future Passive voices are built upon the Aorist Passive stem. For DIDOMI verbs, the passive voices are built upon a different stem than the active voice. Because the Aorist Passive voice is built upon the Aorist Passive stem, it has the Theta-Epsilon or Theta-Eita tense suffix. The Second Aorist is only found in the active voice in the New Testament in the Aorist Active Subjunctive, Aorist Active Optative, Aorist Active Imperative, and the Aorist Active Participle. DIDOMI in the verses listed above is not in the Second Aorist tense but rather in the First Aorist tense. They are all built upon the First Aorist Passive stem: Aorist Passive Infinitive, Aorist Passive Indicative, Aorist Passive Participle, and Aorist Passive Subjunctive.

This is the correct technical information in answer to the question above. All tagging or parsing that lists the active voice of DIDOMI in the Aorist tense as Second Aorist is correct. All tagging or parsing that lists the passive voice of DIDOMI in the Aorist tense as First Aorist is correct. I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Bloomin' heck!! That's impressive. Meaningless (to me) but impressive.

Mike

Archived