10.3.3 - user notes

nigelmu

As an avid taker of notes for years on the Mac and now on the PC - you seem to have rather shifted your approach to saving user notes in 10.3.3.

I have always made a habit of using the 'control s' keystroke to regularly save my notes. (With the windows version still 'developing' this has become all the more important as crashes are fairly common). I see as of 10.3.3 that when I ctrl s - it closes the edit window.

Can this feature be disabled or controlled in some way or is this actually a bug?

Many thanks

Nigel

• Like 1

This is a statement from the updates page for 10.3.3.

• Command-S from a notes edit window now also closes the window, if it is displayed over a pane

See the following page http://www.accordancebible.com/New-Since-10. Windows info is towards the bottom of the page.

This is a statement from the updates page for 10.3.3.

• Command-S from a notes edit window now also closes the window, if it is displayed over a pane

See the following page http://www.accordancebible.com/New-Since-10. Windows info is towards the bottom of the page.

This has been a frustrating change. I have been a Mac user since 1985 and have a habit of saving periodically as I work. This comes from previous years where software wasn't that stable and if you didn't save often you could lose your work. I can't tell you how many times since 10.3.3 that I have been typing in a note and saved only to close my window. I would like to suggest a return to the previous set up of clicking the "update" button or using Command-W. Or, at least allow us the option to disable this "feature."

• Like 1

When I first saw this changed I was puzzled by it given the presence of Cmd/Ctrl-W which already closes the window and which still works. And yes its handy to have a periodic save which does not close the editor. But I'm also puzzled by something else. The update notes say this :

What does "if it is displayed over a pane" mean ? I have tried putting it to the side of my workspace over the desktop and it still closes on cmd-S.

So while I would prefer this change were reverted I am curious why it was done - it was clearly intentional. I also note that it was restricted to notes and not applied to tools. And no, I'm not advocating that it be applied there too, but I don't understand why those two editors are not basically identical functionally.

Thx
D

I am not a fan either. From my (therefore biased) perspective, it doesn't help my workflow but impedes it. Cmd-S and then Cmd-W to save and then close a document window is a habit learned over many years of Mac use across all different kinds of apps. I can't tell how many times I accidentally closed a window I did not want to close because of my Cmd-S and Cmd-W kicking in even after Cmd-S already closed the edit window. My Cmd-S then Cmd-W ends up closing the active text / tool views, which I have to reopen.

I think Accordance is a very complex app, and it doesn't help when it does unexpected things against the normal Mac / Window conventions. I think it's just going to make the learning curve even more steeper than it already is.

• Like 1