Prayer List

mrsstench

I would like to create a prayer list in Accordance, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

Lydia

Lydia - I've been using the Prayer Journal set-up below for a couple of years. It has proved to be very helpful. I want to be faithful in my praying, and staying organized really helps.

I record my daily Scripture reading, and also do a fair amount of cutting and pasting of requests. My list is usually longer than the page you see - that is just the "blank." There are things I pray for on a weekly basis, or every other day, or daily. Below is the way the beginning of next year looks without anything but a few weekly requests in place. I hesitated to copy a full list because I want to protect the privacy of the folks for whom I pray. The 2014 list will look just like that one, but probably a different color!

post-330-0-74911100-1356021060_thumb.png

I set this up as a User Tool (check out Dr. J's podcasts #30.1, 30.2, and 30.3 on creating a User Tool). I created a single month, then just copied and pasted (adjusting the number of days depending on the month) for the rest. Once your blank journal is created, you can just give it a generic name, like "Prayer Journal 20XX" and save it. This one will have months and days, but not days of the week. Then save it again under the name, "Prayer Journal 2013." That's the one to which you add the days of the week. You can choose any font you want - I like Apple Chancery for this one - and colors for your font and background.

One thing you should expect is that with a long file like this that gets edited on a daily basis, you will have "justification" oddities toward the end of the tool. Things will just not be lined up the way you want them to be. They're easy to fix. Just select the "messed up" portions, go to Display in the Menu Bar, then Alignment => choose left. That usually fixes it.

Perhaps Ken would take my blank tool and put it on the Accordance Exchange for those who might be interested. Ken?

The best way I can think of is to create a user tool. Click on the User Tool icon (see attached image if you're not sure what it is) in the toolbar, and select New User Tool from the drop-down list.

That drop-down list should also contain a sample tool that can help explain how User Tools work, or consult the help files.

post-30744-0-71904800-1356021636.png

Okay I am snowed in due to the blizzard so this is a good day for me to try to create a user tool. I will listen to those podcast also. Is a user tool also what I would use to create a note?

Edited by mrsstench

User notes are organized by verse reference, which means they can scroll in parallel with text. User tools have no set organization (they will NOT scroll in parallel), so they are more flexible and better suited to things like the prayer list you inquired about.

Edited by JonathanHuber

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread, but I just wanted to post again here because I've finally settled on Accordance User Tools as the electronic means to use for keeping track of prayer requests and thanksgivings for my congregation. With "notes" and "reminders" and many other apps that sync across a cloud, I picked Accordance because it's the program/app I'm most likely to already have open anyway on a daily basis, and I can get at the User Tool on phone, iPad, or computer, using sync via Dropbox.

Julie--I thought your description and screenshot were very helpful! I'm doing something similar.