Prayer list

Abram K-J

I'm looking for a good way to track my prayer list using a mobile device (that can also sync with other devices).

An Accordance User Tool was my first choice, but these aren't editable on iOS, so that's not an option for my needs.

I don't want to do it in the Logos app (which I don't think you can edit personal books from iOS anyway?).

OmniFocus would be great, but it doesn't automatically sync as seamlessly as something like Reminders does, and all my other to-do stuff is there, and I want a dedicated app for this.

I'm going to try using Things, which was just free on iPhone and iPad in the App Store recently. You can add a note to an item, tag it any number of ways, and do recurring tasks, and auto-sync to the cloud... seems to be all I need, except I don't think there's a good sharing extension or way to email to Things like you can with OF and Evernote.

So I am wondering--do any of you have a good (syncable) system for tracking prayer requests and thanksgivings? Would love to hear about it if so.

There's a cool new app for this called PrayerMate, but it didn't quite do the trick for me.

So why can't you use Evernote?

Type Evernote and Prayer into your search engine of choice and you'll get quite a few hits. Here's a good one:

https://www.edifyhub.com/blog/how-to-manage-your-prayer-list-in-evernote-and-why-you-should-consider-it/

I am using an app called PrayerMate that works wonderfully on iOs. It lets you create categories for prayer, import from your contact list or manually add prayer items to each category, determine how often you want to pray for each (or let it cycle through them all for you), determine the maximum or minimum for each category and for all prayer items combined, etc. I have found it wonderful for prayer.

I does work through DropBox but not as a true sync. However, I created the list on my iPad, transferred it to my iPhone and have been using that ever since. I really like it. (And I had tried OmniFocus - this is MUCH better for handling prayer lists and requests.)

In Christ,

Bret

• Like 3

Agreed about OmniFocus--I would put prayer stuff in there, but I don't want to be distracted by having open the same app that also holds all my day's tasks.

...determine how often you want to pray for each (or let it cycle through them all for you), determine the maximum or minimum for each category and for all prayer items combined, etc. I have found it wonderful for prayer.

Yeah--that's what I wasn't finding to work so well for me, the automatic cycling. Maybe I just need to play more with the settings, as you mention. But I still want to be able to pray more as to-do lists, rather than as a pre-set slideshow. I'll take another look.

Rick--good point. I guess I was hoping for an app that was only prayer requests, so as to mitigate the distraction issue. But I do know how to use Evernote in this regard, and it will do everything I want: even accept emails directly forwarded to my account to turn them into prayer items in a certain notebook.

AND... do you know about Swipes? They just won an Evernote Platform Award--they take all your Evernote notes with check marks and turn them into to-dos. So... I think I may have found my winner: set up everything in Evernote, then pray it from Swipes.

(Or, in better moments, go off the grid completely to pray....)

Rick--I just now saw the link in your post. Thanks! I've checked it out.

That Coding for the Kingdom conference looks pretty sweet.

I use ToodleDo. I have the free app on my iPhone and iPad and can access via the web on any computer and it syncs very well. You can even set it to send you emails or reminders for those things you especially want to track. The have other plans and the one I'm on (the cheapest) allows multiple notification options. There are also third party apps that can sync with ToodleDo.

+1 for PrayerMate. The developer says that new features should be coming out for it soon as well.

Abraham,

Sorry I had missed your last line that you had already tried PrayerMate :wub:

It does take a bit of work with the settings to get things working the way you want, but I have found that good. And for things that I want on a temporary basis (more like to-do lists, I simply have a category "Temporary" to allow me to add in people or items for a while, and then archive them.)

Anyway, hope you can find something that will help.

In Christ,

Bret

• Like 1

I'm going to keep an eye on PrayerMate and remain open to it.

In the meantime, Evernote is actually able to do exactly what I wanted.

I can forward an email I get, for example, to my Evernote upload address, and include @Prayers and #requests in my subject line, and it automatically files it in my Prayers notebook with requests tag.

Then I can add the requests tag to shortcuts and get at all my prayer requests at once.

Heck, there's probably even a way to use Launch Center Pro to open an Evernote tag directly, with one tap.