Compare text at Isaiah 10:29... difference shown when not there?

Abram K-J

I'm assuming others will be able to replicate this... comparing Göttingen and Rahlfs at Isaiah 10:29, a word is highlighted in Compare that actually seems not to be different at all. There was a (perhaps?) related thread I started about this earlier.

Any ideas on what's going on in the attached shot? I understand there's a versification difference, but that shouldn't account for what I'm seeing.

Abram,

Do the two words have different morphological tagging?

• Like 1

Göttingen:

φάραγγα φάραγξ Noun fem sing acc valley

--

Rahlfs:

φάραγγα φάραγξ Noun fem sing acc (comm) valley

--

"comm" is for "common," right? Otherwise identical. Besides, doesn't "Compare" just compare the text itself (i.e., the surface text) and not the tagging?

Edited by AbramKJ

Compare is subject to the desired preferences (Preferences > Compare Text > Compare Text Settings). If you have Accordance set to consider the tags, then yes this will be flagged as a difference due to the (comm).

It's not, though--just set to compare "Words." Or does that also include tags? You can see my selections in the screenshot above.

I wonder why a versification issue would only affect that and one other spot, rather than, e.g., the first word after the versification difference. But I'll take your word for it, James, and see what Joel says.

Without seeing the code, I cannot say for sure. I was inferring to the verse, for that was the only visible thing I could see. It depends on how the algorithm is comparing the text. It is also telling how "(29)" is not being treated as a verse in Accordance (e.g., change the verse appearance and (29) remains stylized on the text, and not the verse).

Edited by James Tucker

Since you have your compare set to Multiple Texts, you don't see the differences in the LXXG pane, which would help explain the issue. As James pointed out, it is a versification issue. See the attached image:

When Accordance sees the start of verse 29, it matches the καὶ παρελεύσεται to each other. Then the εἰς Μαγεδω matches to φάραγγα, and the long blue 'added' section matches to the red line 'missing' marker. So, this is a combination of the verse 29 marker being in such a different place, and the fact that καὶ παρελεύσεται occurs at the start of the verse both ways, so Accordance still does some matching.

• Like 1