Literary Structure of the Old Testament

Dan Masshardt

This is probably not a widely popular book, but one that I find helpful. It would be a great reference to have open in a workspace while studying an Old Testament passage.

The Literary Structure of the Old Testament by David Dorsey. Published by Baker.

Does anybody else use this book?

• Like 2

Love it. While most scholars scoff at the idea of chiastic structures, I think the case can be made that they do reveal at least some meaning of the text. I've often thought it would be intriguing to publish a Bible based on such structural concepts. Some chiasms are far fetched, some appear subjective, and not everybody would agree on everything of course, but still a worthwhile project IMHO.

Furthermore, it would be interesting to see to what extend language is quantifiable (predictable) by utilizing Accordance's search capabilities to trace chiastic patterns, as in Word A, Word B - Word A', Word B' (C', D' if present) within a range and relegate the task of detecting objectively verifiable parallelisms on the linguistic level to the software. This might even betray a measure of authorial intent.

Caveat emptor: I'm waiting for Snow Leopard to jump on the Mac bandwagon, so I wouldn't be much help in this regard till later.

Ingo

Ingo Sorke

Assistant Professor of Religion

Southwestern Adventist University

P.S. As I like to illustrate for my students . . . Don't let a kiss fool you, nor a fool kiss you. ;)

I've often thought it would be great to have a Bible coded with the various genres in which a passage is written: prophetic oracle, historical narrative, enthronement psalm, miracle story, fable, proverb, etc. The reason is that most of us recognize that exegesis works differently in some of these literary forms.

Second. To see Dorsey's outlines in parallel with the text would be helpful.

• 4 years later...

Dorsey's work is probably my favorite single volume book on the OT. (He recently passed, may he RIP!)

I own a hard copy, but would gladly pay to have it in Accordance. It has recently made it to Logos, FWIW, though I'd rather have it in Accordance.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm preaching from/through Genesis this fall, and to map out my sermons, the very first place I'm turning (after prayer) is to this gem of a book, which I own in print. Would love to see it in Accordance!

Can you suggest any Bible commentary that especially focuses on and emphasizes this method of exploring literary structures in the Hebrew Bible?

The Companion Bible, suggested by me and others in a separate thread, is full of literary outlines, structures, chiasms etc.

It's a work mainly of E.W. Bullinger, famous for this Figures of Speech (available in Acc. and also contains outlines and structures here and there). Hope the Companion Bible will be release soon in Acc. :-)

I own the book by Dorsey and its a goldmine. Not all OT is covered the same way, some parts are more detailed than others.

Edited by HansK
  • Like 1

Gordon--I just combed through Dorsey's introduction, closing section, and bibliography, but he doesn't seem to point to much in terms of commentaries taking a similar approach. (Though he does mention the Bible Hansk mentioned.)

It varies from volume to volume, but you probably already know the Word Biblical Commentary does some literary structural analysis. Zondervan's new series Hearing the Message of Scripture (I reviewed the Obadiah volume here, which includes some of the structural analysis that volume does) looks like it will have something to offer along these lines.

I wonder if James Kugel deals with this. I'll have to peruse my library and see what i can find either in English or Hebrew.

Word A', Word B' (C', D' if present)

How do you say that out loud? "ay-apostrophe?" "bee-apostrophe?"

• 2 years later...

Any chance we might see the Dorsey title (Literary Structure of the OT) in Accordance soonish? Preaching the OT lectionary this fall, and loving this book once again. (I have it in print.)

Any chance we might see the Dorsey title (Literary Structure of the OT) in Accordance soonish? Preaching the OT lectionary this fall, and loving this book once again. (I have it in print.)

Is there something similar for the NT?

Not that I know of (that treats the whole NT in one book like Dorsey does the OT), but I'd love to be proven wrong! 

Not that I know of (that treats the whole NT in one book like Dorsey does the OT), but I'd love to be proven wrong! 

Is it along the same lines as the Literary Study Bible?

I am on board. I would also like to see this in Accordance.

+1

• Like 1

• 3 years later...