Can't highlight text in my tool. Is this correct behaviour?

Guntis

I created my tool from the HTML text (The Gospel of Thomas, translation of Coptic text). But I can't highlight the text in this tool. Is this correct behaviour? On Accordance for iOS I can highlight the same module, but highlights don't sync over to Mac. Accordance 9.6.6.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to find out about this as well. Looks like text in a user tool cannot be highlighted?

Yes, since the tool can be edited anytime there is no way to keep track of where the highlights belong, so we just don't allow them.

Why impose the limitation? If the highlights are altered because the user edited the file, it's the user's responsibility to fix the highlights. If the file is created and never edited again, there's no reason not to have highlighting. Could this be re-considered?

I understand the reason for the limitation, though like Jonathan I think it would be better to give the functionality to the user and let them be responsible if things get changed.

What I had in mind is recommending that if users use Accordance to read Bible reading plans, they could use highlighting to mark the most recently read passage. Right now the way to do that would be to edit the user tool and add styling that way?

Yes, since the tool can be edited anytime there is no way to keep track of where the highlights belong, so we just don't allow them.

Maybe that could be our responsibility to adjust highlights if we edit the text afterwards? :/

• 2 months later...

I also would like to be able to highlight. I was very surprised that I could not highlight a passage in Newton's letters I downloaded from the Accordance exchange.

You could call attention to the chosen text by changing font color, going bold, increasing font size, or even changing the font. Then the changes would stay with the intended text.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You could call attention to the chosen text by changing font color, going bold, increasing font size, or even changing the font. Then the changes would stay with the intended text.

Thanks! 5 of 5 stars for clever solution! :-)

You're welcome. I use this sort of thing all the time in my own notes and tools - helps to to find stuff!