NIDNTT with NASB?

David Hamilton

I'm looking for a good dictionary / lexicon of Greek words for a non-Greek student. From a previous post and looking at the modules I see that the New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology looks like a good option.

I have the NIV, but not the tagged NIV. I tend to use the tagged NASB. However the NIDNTT uses a different tagging system, yes? Does that mean I won't be able to triple-click a word in the NASB and have it show up the definition in NIDNTT? If that's the case, then what is another good dictionary / lexicon which *will* work with the tagged NASB?

Thanks!

David

Hi David,

I don't know if this will seem to complicated to you, but you can easily use both the NAS95S and the NIDNTT together if you use a workspace with tabs. It involves two extra steps.

1. Let's say you are in Hebrews 6.20 and triple click on "forerunner." Instantly the NAS Greek would open up and show you this:

4274. pro/dromo

Yes, there is a much easier way: from any text with Key numbers such as NAS96S, just press option when you select NIDNTT after you select a word, and NIDNTT will find the Greek word behind the English word you have selected. It does not use the Key numbers except as a way to get to the Greek word, so it does not matter that the numbering schemes are different.

So any Greek lexicon will work with any Key number text, and NIDNTT is an excellent choice.

• 4 months later...
Yes, there is a much easier way: from any text with Key numbers such as NAS96S, just press option when you select NIDNTT after you select a word, and NIDNTT will find the Greek word behind the English word you have selected. It does not use the Key numbers except as a way to get to the Greek word, so it does not matter that the numbering schemes are different.

So any Greek lexicon will work with any Key number text, and NIDNTT is an excellent choice.

In Eph 1.10 selecting 'summing' in NAS95S returns a 'this word doesn't appear in the tool NIDNTT' error box.

Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks a bunch,

john

Yes, but in this instance it is a little complicated!

First the problem:

The NAS95 agrees with the GNT-T in deriving this word from anakephalaioo (to sum up), which agrees with BDAG, but NIDNTT decides it is derived from anakephalaioomai (presumably the deponent form of the same verb). So NIDNTT has no entry for anakephalaioo, and anakephalaioomai is with kephale under the English entry Head.

So, how could you find the entry when the word it different?

I found it first by triple-clicking
summing
in NAS95S and seeing this entry in NAS Greek:

anakephalaioo anakephalaioo
; from 303 and 2775; to sum up, gather up:

Yes, but in this instance it is a little complicated!

First the problem:

The NAS95 agrees with the GNT-T in deriving this word from anakephalaioo (to sum up), which agrees with BDAG, but NIDNTT decides it is derived from anakephalaioomai (presumably the deponent form of the same verb). So NIDNTT has no entry for anakephalaioo and anakephalaioomai is with kephale under the English entry Head.

You see that there is more than one way to skin a cat. I hope this is helpful.

Thanks Helen. Skinning a cat may be more or less time consuming--depending upon the cat.

It works fine with 'Thayers'. I'll settle for that!

:)

john

Archived