varying abbreviations of bible book names

Boris Repschinski

When searching, I often use self-created search limit, and there is one annoying thing that creeps up again and again: First I do my search in the Greek, then maybe in some German version of a text. The several German versions I use employ book abbreviations different from the GNT, or from English bibles. So I have to change the search limit definitions over and over again.

So the question is: Isn't there a way to have all texts and translation answer to the same book abbreviations?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, Boris

No, I'm sorry, there is no way to standardize the abbreviations. However, if you are setting up the limits in the range dialog, I suggest that you create each range twice. You can set which text the range is using to confirm the definition. For example, have a range for New Testament (Eng) which is Matt-Rev, and for New Testament (Ger) which is Matt-Off. That should make it easier to switch between them.

Thanks for the help, Helen. I have followed your advice so far, though I was hoping there would be a less tedious way. Maybe it is age catching up with me, but I often forget to switch ranges when searching.

Boris

• 2 years later...

Can someone help me with finding what the abbreviations for Bibles

mean. Thanks

You can see the standard abbreviations we use if you go to LIst All Book Names in the Display menu.