Why am I unable to go to a verse reference in a reference book?

Enoch

When I am at a verse, for example, John 3:16, and I want to jump to a commentary on John 3:16, why am I sent to the title page of the commentary instead of to the comment on John 3:16? There have been times when having the cursor or highlight on 3:16 took me to the comment on 3:16. But other times and most lately, I find myself having to sort through the book to find the comment on 3:16.

I've had that problem occasionally myself, but couldn't replicate it just now (from NIV11 to Calvin's Commentaries).

Are you able to give the details of from which text and to which commentary this problem happens, then someone might be able to respond to your query.

In order to recreate this I need to know which commentary you were going to and how you were getting there (were you using triple click from the reference of the text for instance?)

"how you were getting there"

Actually the topic is "how I am not getting there" LOL.

I would say that the problem is with any and every commentary.

I have the cursor or highlight on the reference in the displayed text (typically ASV).

I bring down the library from the tool bar and click on a commentary.

Are you clicking on the amplify button, or just double-clicking the commentary? If you want to search, use the amplify button (has four arrows going in each direction). If you just want to open new, double click the commentary.

yep. what Joel said.

it sounds like you're opening a commentary rather than amplifying a verse to a commentary.

if you do it from the library window, you need to click the amplify button (the square with the arrows heading out). if you double click it would only go to the beginning of the commentary.

you can do the same by triple clicking on the verse reference, or by right (control) clicking in the verse and look up/dictionary.

you can do the same by adding a parallel reference tool.

you can do the same by clicking amplify up the top and then selecting your commentary.

Edited by Douglas Fyfe