Using HITS from a BHS search for a LXX search

jedinburgh

Is there a way to do this:

(1) search for a Hebrew term in BHS

(2) search for a Greek term in LXX, but only within the results of (1)

My goal in this is really to obtain data similar to what can be found in Hatch and Redpath's concordance.

You can search for a Hebrew lemma and then use the [CONTENTS] command in another search box with the LXX as your search text. For example:

Search for "bra" in BHS-W4. Open another search window set to LXX1 and write "poiew AND [CONTENTS BHS-W4]". Is this what you are after?

Actually, you don't need to type everything. Type "poiew", command-shift-A and command-shift-C.

Edited by Ruben Gomez

You would also find the MT-LXX database helpful here.

Yes, of course, MT-LXX would be much better. I was simply trying to answer the scenario suggested by the original poster.

Another question: In what ways would the MT-LXX database be better.

It's more precise. Using the Contents command will find verses that contain both your chosen Hebrew word and chosen Greek word, but that doesn't mean that one was used to translate the other. They could be in two different phrases, for example. The MT-LXX database matches them up so you can see where a given Hebrew word was translated with a particular Greek word.

Edited by JonathanHuber

I think, then, I'm also having trouble searching MT-LXX properly. By just search for a Hebrew term AND a Greek term, it still shows whole verses in which the two occur, but where the Greek does not necessarily translate the Hebrew. Is this better, simply because it's easier to identify this by sight, or is there a better way to conduct this sort of search?

Additionally, is there a way to search within MT-LXX that does not yeild only the exact lemma?

ArBe sure you limit the search to search by 'Paragraph' under the search options menu (the magnifying glass on the left side of the entry box).

What do you mean, not only the exact lemma? It will bring in whatever hits were found in your hebrew or greek search, regardless of what search they contained ([VERB aor] [LINK Construct] etc.)

Got it on the search limitation.

Concerning the other questions, please see attached photo, for instance. Is there a way to accomplish this search without having to enter the 2 different forms of the noun κληρονομία?

Trouble with the picture.

Basically, the question is, for instance, if I can search for all forms of a particular noun without having to enter every form into the search field.

Run your searches in the Hebrew and Greek, then open the MT-LXX and use Merge command, i.e. [MERGE HMT-W4] <AND> [MERGE LXX1].

Many thanks. Exactly what i was going for.

Jedinburgh:

The MT-LXX module is not morphologically tagged, as say the LXX1 (Rahlfs) or the BHS. Thus, any search you run in the MT-LXX will be based on the inflected form (or more linguistically accurate the accidence of a lemma). Consequently, the merge command (syntax "[MERGE <tab name>]") effectively associates the tagging of LXX1 or BHS with the MT-LXX. Your search will therefore need to be executed within the tagged text.

The MT-LXX can give you all the information that Hatch and Redpath (HR) can give you. Tov admits as much in the recent revised introduction to HR. With some additional work on the database (which I believe Tov is editing it again) and some additional programming, the MT-LXX could render even more valuable information to the researcher.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a saved workspace using BHS-W4, LXX1, and MT-LXX Parallel with tabs already set up and renamed (so as not to conflict with other workspaces) that I use specifically for running these kinds of searches. It is set up to allow me to search for a Hebrew lemma in BHS and a Greek lemma in LXX1 and automatically generate results (in different tabs) that reflect when the Greek word is used for the Hebrew word, when the Hebrew word is used but a different Greek word is used instead, and when the Greek word is used but for a word other than the Hebrew word. I'll attach it here if the forum lets me, so that others may use it, too. I would welcome comments and feedback from others who are running these kinds of searches.

I can't seem to find a way to attach it, but it is available at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4wrra296rjvf9g/MTLXX

Hi Tony,

would you be happy for me to add this workspace to the Accordance Exchange? Someone else might find it useful!

Hi Ken,

Yes, please do! I've found it particularly helpful for working in LXX Psalms. I only wish we had a tagged SInaiticus text for the OT…

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks for this, Tony.

I don't have BHS-W4. (I thought I did, but it's not in my library.) I don't suppose you have BHS-T or HMT-W4 with which you could build and re-post this Workspace? If that's too much trouble, no problem at all.

Since BHS-W4 is a deprecated module, I will remake it with HMT-W4 and post it on the exchange over the weekend.

Yes, thanks Ken!

• 2 months later...

Tony:

Would you mind reposting that or directing me to where I could get this MT-LXX workspace for BHS and LXX?

I have a saved workspace using BHS-W4, LXX1, and MT-LXX Parallel with tabs already set up and renamed (so as not to conflict with other workspaces) that I use specifically for running these kinds of searches. It is set up to allow me to search for a Hebrew lemma in BHS and a Greek lemma in LXX1 and automatically generate results (in different tabs) that reflect when the Greek word is used for the Hebrew word, when the Hebrew word is used but a different Greek word is used instead, and when the Greek word is used but for a word other than the Hebrew word. I'll attach it here if the forum lets me, so that others may use it, too. I would welcome comments and feedback from others who are running these kinds of searches.

I can't seem to find a way to attach it, but it is available at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4wrra296rjvf9g/MTLXX

Corey Farcas
MDiv/MABL '14
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
cfarcas@gcts.edu

Hi Corey,

It's on the exchange (www.accordancebible.com/exchange) in the workspaces area. You will need 'the unarchiver' or something similar to unstuff the .sit file. I can email you a zip of the workspace if you send me a message or an email - my email is ksimpson [at] accordancebible [dot] com

We will be going live soon with a zip Archive of the exchange.

Edited by Ken Simpson