Orthodox Study Bible

Robert N

I saw a request for the Orthodox Study Bible in the General Topics, but not here in the Feature/Module Request area. I would definitely like to buy this.

Edited by Robert N
  • Like 1

I've suggested before that I think there's an Orthodox community just waiting to be tapped for Bible software. The Orthodox Church has been growing here in the US, and even one of my friends with whom I went to a Baptist seminary has converted to Orthodoxy.

If the Orthodox Study Bible were available for Accordance, it could also be bundled with the LXX, TR, Church Fathers, maybe the NETS and perhaps a few other related modules for an "Orthodox Collection" similar to the Catholic and Jewish collections that already exist.

To my knowledge, no Bible software company is specifically targeting this group, so if Oak Tree were to do this first, Orthodox Studies might simply standardize around Accordance.

• Like 1

That sounds like a great idea. I hope someone in Accordance is listening.

I've suggested before that I think there's an Orthodox community just waiting to be tapped for Bible software. The Orthodox Church has been growing here in the US, and even one of my friends with whom I went to a Baptist seminary has converted to Orthodoxy.

If the Orthodox Study Bible were available for Accordance, it could also be bundled with the LXX, TR, Church Fathers, maybe the NETS and perhaps a few other related modules for an "Orthodox Collection" similar to the Catholic and Jewish collections that already exist.

To my knowledge, no Bible software company is specifically targeting this group, so if Oak Tree were to do this first, Orthodox Studies might simply standardize around Accordance.

We have been attempting to license this for some time, i hope it won't be long before we get it.

I believe Rick has an excellent point. I would add that there is certainly a movement in studies of the ancient church and it's ways of Worship, Prayer and Life that goes hand in hand with the growth of The Orthodox Church here in America. I "personally know" several Pastors that have moved over to Orthodoxy with their whole congregations and "know of" at least another dozen who have done the same.

I will say again, there is no software company who is truly serving the areas of Patristic/ Liturgical/Prayer/Sacramental Studies, and the wonderful writings created and being created within the Ancient Church bodies.

From a purely business perspective: There is a huge market here that is for all practical purposes, largely untouched. Whoever finally realizes this and puts forth the effort is going to find a huge market and will control the majority of it as far as market share is concerned. The "other" software has touched the area, but has not capitalized on it as they are having other issues.

In my opinion and, to the best of my knowledge: For the study of writings prior to the reformation (and many greats after, if they do not reside within the reformation movement) one must go to the book stores or order online unless they have ready access to an academic library. There are some titles available on E-Readers and things can be found, but not where we can access easily for in-depth studies.

Most of the material available in research and study software is specific to the reformation/post reformation timeframe, with a few token titles thrown in to cover catholic/orthodox/lutheran/anglican studies such as the: Church Fathers, Augustine etc.

Some of us smile sadly as there is this incredible wealth of studies being forgotten/ignored, as if the Christian Church did not even exist between the death of the Apostles and the Reformation, or, as if there was nothing of value between the Fathers and the Reformation.

However, the studies in these areas is expanding, quickly.

There is a huge amount of incredible Biblical/Christian/Church/Spiritual/Prayer/Commentary writings available to be incorporated into the software for real studies and there is a huge market for it.

The Biblical Studies Software Company that gets on top of this and makes these things available is going to have the largest share of the whole Christian market.

To be succinct, the whole of the Biblical Study Software arena is missing probably the largest market available and, that market is the one growing at the greatest rates, not only here in the United States, but globally.

Personally: I honestly believe it would be good and Godly service to the Kingdom of God to make these writings more available to the Christian for study and reflection, in my bias, I would have to say-In Accordance.

There's not much available in the Software from/for the Orthodox/Catholic/Lutheran/Anglican other than Original Language Studies ( which are wonderful ) and being able to search The Early Church Fathers and a few other select Titles.

So, yes to The Orthodox Study Bible and many, many more writings that need to be added.

Ok, there's my opinion.

Grace and Peace,

He is Risen, Alleluia!

Rusty+

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An Orthodox Collection sounds like a great idea as do collections revolving around the Textus Receptus/Received Text and the Majority Text and the Alexandrian Text.

• 3 weeks later...

I would welcome the Orthodox Study Bible while at the same time, I am VERY appreciative of the breadth of the resources offered for Accordance. There is much to be learned from all sides of the discussion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have been attempting to license this for some time, i hope it won't be long before we get it.

I remembered that this discussion has been around and brought up in the past and came back today to check on it. I'm very excited to hear that it is in the works.

My primary starting point for personal devotions, parish bible studies, and homily preparation is the Orthodox Study Bible. I often find myself cutting and pasting from the ebook version into Accordance, which is far less than ideal. Once it is available in Accordance, I'll be the first in line to purchase a copy.

I agree with some of the other commentators that there is a huge untapped market for providing various bundles to an Orthodox Christian audience. Having the Orthodox Study Bible available would be a major step in starting to serve that market.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The OSB is an important contribution to understanding and applying God's Word to our everyday lives. I hope that Helen and the good folks from Accordance can make this happen.

• Like 1

I learned something about the Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) that I did not know recently. It seems there is another Orthodox version in the works, namely the Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible (EOB). There is a comparison of the two at this link that was helpful and interesting.

Comparison of OSB and EOB

I hope this is helpful.

• 1 month later...

I learned something about the Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) that I did not know recently. It seems there is another Orthodox version in the works, namely the Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible (EOB). There is a comparison of the two at this link that was helpful and interesting.

Comparison of OSB and EOB

I hope this is helpful.

To be fair, while the EOB is a project that I've been following with much interest, it is essentially a private enterprise done by a small group of people and published through Lulu.com. The Orthodox Study Bible was a collaborative effort involving broad participation and endorsement by the major Orthodox Christian jurisdictions and scholars in North America and was published by Thomas Nelson.

I am new to both of these so I am learning. Several of the arguments EOB made seemed important: It wouldn't be controlled by Nelson and it is supposed to include the DSS and latest MSS info. You seem to be much more knowledgable on this can you add your take on the 2 with pros and cons? Any insight is much appreciated. I very much liked the idea of having the entire bible in a single Greek module, but I am not sure that would be a part of this.

To be fair, while the EOB is a project that I've been following with much interest, it is essentially a private enterprise done by a small group of people and published through Lulu.com. The Orthodox Study Bible was a collaborative effort involving broad participation and endorsement by the major Orthodox Christian jurisdictions and scholars in North America and was published by Thomas Nelson.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps an Orthodox Collection could include both the OSB and the EOB.

I am reading through Acts and noticing that some the quotes of the OT are more synchronous with the LXX-B and NETS translations of the Septuagint (LXX) than they are with translations based upon the Masoretic text (BHS). It seems to me, at first glance and being unversed in this, that this is evidence for the Septuagint (LXX) being a more vetted source than the Masoretic text (BHS). It seems we have Paul quoting the Hab. 1:5 in Acts 13:41 and James quoting Amos 9:11-12 in Acts 15:16-17 both quotes in Acts being better matched with the LXX than the BHS or the DSS.

I know of the LXX-B and the NETS translations of the LXX and also of the OSB and EOB. Are all of these using the same LXX source MSS?

My curiosity is awakened by this. Helen has there been any further progress on this?

• 1 month later...

Also wondering if the relative speed of acquiring this is related to HarperCollins' recent purchase of Thomas Nelson (publisher of the OSB). Any info on this possible angle?

• 1 month later...

I noticed that the OSB has some interesting textual variations from the BHS. For example, Numbers 16 is much shorter, ending on vs. 35 and missing the rest of the chapter. Am I missing something here?

Daniel

I believe the OSB gives preference to the Septuagint, but perhaps someone with more knowledge can answer your question better. I think Fr. Thurman can help as he seems to be knowledgable on these Orthodox Bibles. You might try sending him a msg directly.

• 1 month later...

Helen, is there any update on the OSB and EOB and the possibility of an Orthodox Collection?

Sorry, no, we haven't anything to report. We are pursuing so many modules from so many sources, that we cannot simply deliver them. These things take years to negotiate and develop.

• 5 months later...

I just wanted to check in again to see if there is any additional info on the OSB and EOB coming to Accordance. :)

If this would be a combo of the NT in Greek with the LXX, that would be great. I'm not sure what an orthodox bible would be.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to though my vote in as well... really praying it comes out soon. A big thanks to all the folks at Accordance though doing so much work in tracking these licences down.