Book of Concord and other Lutheran Texts

mmljnelson

I would be very happy with the older Theodore Tappert translation (1959).

The Kolb-Wengert edition of the Book of Concord is in digital format but it is available only in the Libronix format.

<http://www.augsburgfortress.org/store/item.asp?clsid=128030&isbn=0800634411>

It would really be nice to have the old Concordia Triglotta, that has parallel columns of the Book of Concord in Latin, German, and English. My copy is quite old - I wouldn't be surprised if it is in the public domain. The question of digitizing it is another issue.

I just checked my copy of the Concordia Triglotta. It was published in 1921 by Concordia. I don't know if there were later releases.

Does anyone know if it has been digitized?

• 2 months later...

It's available online (& searchable) at http://www.bookofconcord.org/

At this point, knowing some of the translational issues that some folks have with the Tappert & Kolb-Wengert editions, I would very much like to have a fully "tagged" version of the Bente-Dau Triglot edition for Accordance (the new McCain edition from CPH would also be nice, but since the Triglot is in the public domain, I think it'd be the easiest one to get...). I don't know just how much work it would take to get it fully Accordance-ized, but since the source electronic versions must exist (given the searchable web version), I'd hope that it wouldn't be too onerous...

Fwiw, hard copies of Concordia Triglotta can be purchased new at CPH & NPH. An English-only version (Monoglot? :P ) can be had from Repristination Press (look about halfway down the page).

I'd also really, really, like to have Luther's Works available in Accordance, as they are in Logos -- given that the head of CPH (Rev. Paul McCain) is a Mac-phile, I gotta think he'd like it to be available on the premier Mac Bible software! :lol:

We have been trying for years to license the works of Luther from Concordia/Fortress. We are still trying. If we don't have them now, it's not for lack of making contacts, making proposals, following up on them, etc. I hope we will have good news on the subject this year, but I am not holding my breath.

I just had an email exchange with Rev. McCain, and unfortunately it doesn't look too good for ever getting CPH resources in Accordance format. :(:angry: While there's certainly a part of me that understands the whole "market share" method of determining the best allocation of resources, it still strikes me as a shame when it's done in this arena. Especially so, when it's also based somewhat on the promise that Logos' Mac version will be out in Fall 2006 (unless it slips again!), as well as the whole Boot Camp phenomena (which strikes me as a very thin & unsatisfying argument!).

That all said, I'd still be very, very interested in getting an Accordance formatted version of the public domain Bente-Dau edition of the BoC.

-ghp

• 4 weeks later...

Something we're forgetting...the copyright original texts of the 1580 book of concord have long since expired. I'd love to see just the German and Latin from the Bekenntnisschriften made available. As a matter of fact, I'd take it over KW or Tappert, or Bente-Dau. My point though, is that I don't think that the text is copyrighted.

Any hope there?

We have been trying for years to license the works of Luther from Concordia/Fortress. We are still trying. If we don't have them now, it's not for lack of making contacts, making proposals, following up on them, etc. I hope we will have good news on the subject this year, but I am not holding my breath.

Thank you Helen for continuing to pursue getting Luther's works from CPH. Hopefully they will listen to sound reason and be persuaded by your persistence.

I too would like to see the Triglot in Accordance format. While the footnotes are useful in the Kolb/Wengert edition and the translation is more readable at times, nothing beats being able to look over to the left and see what the original wording is.

Also, it would be nice to have C.F.W. Walther's "The Proper Distinction between Law and Gospel", Ylvisaker's "The Gospels" and Pieper's "Dogmatics" within Accordance.

Edited by Outis

Thank you Helen for continuing to pursue getting Luther's works from CPH. Hopefully they will listen to sound reason and be persuaded by your persistence.

I too would like to see the Triglot in Accordance format. While the footnotes are useful in the Kolb/Wengert edition and the translation is more readable at times, nothing beats being able to look over to the left and see what the original wording is.

Also, it would be nice to have C.F.W. Walther's "The Proper Distinction between Law and Gospel", Ylvisaker's "The Gospels" and Pieper's "Dogmatics" within Accordance.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've been using the freely available Triglot (English) as an Accordance user tool for some time. Contact me if you wish.

blh

If the Accordance Exchange is still functional, is this something you would like to post as a user tool?

http://home.earthlink.net/~accordanceexchange/welcome.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~accordanceexchange/Tools.html

When you say "Triglot (English)", do you mean that you only have an English component but are lacking the Latin and German parallel windows?

1) I would be curious to know how hard it would be for OakTree Software to produce an Accordance module with the three languages in parallel windows? Would it be cost effective?

2) Would obtaining licensing of the Tappert edition (1959) of the Book of Concord be viable? It wouldn't compete with Logos licensing of the Kolb-Wengert edition but would be more current than the public domain versions available on-line.

• 10 years later...