Change Default Window SIze

Elijah

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and still quite new to accordance.

One thing that I am missing so far is a way to configure the default window size of the search window.

Currently every time I click on a scripture reference the window opens and I first have to resize it to read it.

Maybe there is a way already, but I couldn't find anything in the preferences dialog.

Elias

Elias,

Welcome, and glad to have you aboard!

When you have the windows resized to your liking, go to your Accordance preferences and select the "General" tab. Under the "Startup" section you'll find a drop-down list that includes "set default session". Click on the button and you're set.

You may also want to set your default workspace to open with tabs instead of having a separate window appear every time you click on a link. You can do this in the same pane by selecting the option to "open initial window as workspace with tabs".

Mark

Hi Mark,

thanks for your quick reply. I tried to set the default session with the desired size, but accordance doesn't remember the size for any new window.

My scenario: I use the Daily Readings tool currently and it's ok to open a new window, but the window size should be bigger.

The "open initial window as workspace with tab" is already enabled.

I guess for me the most intuitive way would be to have an checkbox in the cmd+t dialog to remember the window size (the dialog where you also can set the default font etc. for each bible text).

Or another place could be under the preferences to remember the size for all new windows (maybe internally saved per tool).

Update:

The reason why I don't use the tab-mode with the daily readings module is because normally the current scroll position isn't saved for any module in accordance (which I find pretty unfortunate). So I clicked save as for the daily readings module. When I want to use the module I just double click the shortcut on my desktop.

The module is opened as single window without tabs. So when I now click on a reference it is opened in a new (small) window.

Another thing I don't like currently is that if you check the box to not warn you on closing windows in the preference, it won't save for example you verse list changes.

In the beginning of the video tutorial it is recommended however to enable this option.

If you leave the option disabled it asks for every window if you are sure to close it even if you didn't change or select anything.

For me as someone who is beginning to work with accordance things like that decrease my confidence in the program.

Imagine if I work several hours on something and it would save without asking...

Elias

Elias,

I guess for me the most intuitive way would be to have an checkbox in the cmd+t dialog to remember the window size (the dialog where you also can set the default font etc. for each bible text).

Or another place could be under the preferences to remember the size for all new windows (maybe internally saved per tool).

I think this is a good idea and will be considered for a future revision.

In the mean time, don't forget about the green "zoom" button that calculates the maximum window size to fit within your open floating windows. Also, you can elect to Tile windows (in the Window > Arrange Menu) after you open a new window.

If you leave the option disabled it asks for every window if you are sure to close it even if you didn't change or select anything.

As of 8.4.1, Accordance no longer asks for a new unchanged window. However, with this option disabled, any changes to the search critera (search terms, search module, etc) then Accordance will treat this as a window that needs to be saved ( a black dot will appear in the red close button). I am sure there are ways of increasing the usefulness of the save warnings, but right now Accordance is being extra cautious to help prevent loss of work.

Thank you for the suggestions,

Mike

I think this is a good idea and will be considered for a future revision.

In the mean time, don't forget about the green "zoom" button that calculates the maximum window size to fit within your open floating windows. Also, you can elect to Tile windows (in the Window > Arrange Menu) after you open a new window.

Great, I would be very happy to see a feature like that :)

Your two suggestions work (with an additional mouse click) best for users that don't have big screens like me (24").

As of 8.4.1, Accordance no longer asks for a new unchanged window. However, with this option disabled, any changes to the search critera (search terms, search module, etc) then Accordance will treat this as a window that needs to be saved ( a black dot will appear in the red close button). I am sure there are ways of increasing the usefulness of the save warnings, but right now Accordance is being extra cautious to help prevent loss of work.

That's good news. Something that I also would find very useful (in my daily readings) is that the current position in a module would be saved when closing.

To me it seems that only main chapters are saved, for example Chronological or Devotional sections in the "Daily Readings" module.

So it would be great just to continue where I left of last time I used a module.

Thank you for the suggestions,

Mike

I would be glad to be of any help to make this software even better (I'm a software developer myself by the way :)

Regards,

Elias

Archived