Power Vocab Challenge

Anthony Pyles

I'm terrible at remembering vocab, and I know I'm not alone. But here's a thought: how can I use Accordance to help me find the smallest number of verses which contain the largest amount of a target vocab range (with as little overlap as possible)? Here's what I have worked out so far:

First I searched for all Greek words that occur 50 or more times, so in GNT-T I put "*@-[COUNT 1-49]". The Sermon on the Mount was "very red," to use a technical term, so here's what I found out using the Details button: the Sermon on the Mount contains 186 of the 310 Greek words that occur 50 times or more.

But what is my next step? I changed the search argument to "*@-[COUNT1-49] <AND> [RANGE mt 5-7]" and I opened a new GNT-T window (GNT-T 2)and put in "*@-[COUNT 1-49] @-[HITS GNT-T]". This appears to have given me the rest of the words occuring 50 times or more. Acts 11 seems to have a spike, so I put "* <AND> [RANGE Acts 11]" in a third GNT-T window, and changed the GNT-T 2 search to "*@-[COUNT 1-49] @-[HITS GNT-T] @-[HITS GNT-T 3]". Looks like that cuts me down to 87 words if I memorize Matthew 5-7 and Acts 11.

Honestly, I probably have Greek words above 50 memorized already, and I'm more interested in using this for Hebrew--it's just easier to type the search argument in the GNT-T window. But any ideas on doing this type of work more quickly, or allowing for some (small amount of) overlap?

Archived