Compound frequency vocab searches

Rod Decker

I had this figured out once...

How do I compile a list of all words that occur at least 2 times in Colossians AND which also occur more than 5 times in the NT?

Search one window with the Range pop-up set to Colossians, and the argument: [COUNT 2-1000]

Search the second window with the entire New Testament and the argument: [COUNT 5-5000] [HITS windowname]

using the name of the first window in the HITS command.

That should do it.

Thanks. I almost had it. Two questions:

1. What would the difference be if instead of using HITS, I used LINK? The stats are similar, but not identical (if I remembered them right).

2. Does it make a difference whether I start with Col or with the whole NT? i.e., does this do the same thing:

[count 2-1000] <AND> [HITS NT_vocab5+]

(in which the first count is a Colossians range window, and the NT_vocab5+ window is the entire NT)?

LINK pulls in the search argument not the results. It won't work well here, even if you use a RANGE command. This is because the COUNT looks at the range in the pop-up menu, so you would find all words in Colossians that occur twice or more in the entire text, even if only once in Colossians.

No, it doesn't matter which order the commands appear in the second window, since they are joined by an AND, but come to think of it, they should be joined by an @. The AND means find verses with both kinds of words in them. The @ means that both characteristics must apply to the same word. So you need to use:

[count 2-1000] @ [HITS NT_vocab5+]

The difference it WILL make is the range in the window with the HITS command:

[count 2-1000] @ [HITS NT_vocab5+]

will display these words only in Colossians (assuming you set the range correctly)

[count 5-1000] @ [HITS Col_vocab2+]

will display these words throughout the NT (assuming no range)

Sorry, I forgot the distinction between @ and AND in my first reply, but it is very important.

Archived