BUG 10.3.0 - Ampilfy Behaving Strangely

Matt Fredenburg

If I am reading 1 John (ESVS), and I've reached a point where 1 John 2:9 is the topmost verse in the text pane, when I amplify to a reference (e.g. Clarke's Commentary) two things happen:

1. My text pane moves to Genesis 1:1
  2. The reference that I just amplified to also moves to Genesis 1:1

I've even tried clicking in the text (i.e. setting the cursor within 1 John 2:9) and the same behavior occurs.

I validated that in Accordance 10.3.0 for Mac that this does not occur, although I do get moved from 1 John 2:9 being topmost to 1 John 1:1 being topmost, which also seems to be a bug.

Matt

I just tried amplifying from the same place but to Barne's commentary, and I was taken to the Book of Acts in both the text and the reference.

Matt

Hey Matt, I'm having trouble reproducing this on either Mac or PC. On both of them, I triple click my 1John 2:9 reference, and the commentary (Clark's or otherwise) opens to the correct place, and all scrolling is correct. Could you maybe post a screenshot of your workspace, and perhaps describe what other method you are using to Amplify to the reference tool? (Menu, Library, right-click, etc.)

Hey Matt, I'm having trouble reproducing this on either Mac or PC. On both of them, I triple click my 1John 2:9 reference, and the commentary (Clark's or otherwise) opens to the correct place, and all scrolling is correct. Could you maybe post a screenshot of your workspace, and perhaps describe what other method you are using to Amplify to the reference tool? (Menu, Library, right-click, etc.)

Hi Joel,

Here are the steps which duplicate what I am seeing on my system. First, open Accordance:

post-30573-0-90418500-1381032453_thumb.png

Next, type '1 John' and press the 'Enter' key, then click in the Text pane so Amplify will work (if I don't click in the pane, then all the items in the Amplify toolbar menu are dimmed):

post-30573-0-79534600-1381032461_thumb.png

Amplify (via the Toolbar) to Clarke's Commentary:

post-30573-0-21899100-1381032473_thumb.png

Hope this helps,

Matt

P.S. I just checked the behavior on Accordance 9.6.6 for Mac, and if I place the cursor next to the 'T' in 'That' of 1 John 1:1, and then Amplify to Clarke's Commentary, Clarke's Commentary opens to Genesis 1:1 with the text "Many attempts have been made to define the term GOD:...", but, the Text pane which is opened to 1 John 1:1 *stays* at 1 John 1:1.

On Accordance 10.3.0 for Mac, if I place the cursor next to the 'T' in 'That' of 1 John 1:1, and then Amplify to Clarke's Commentary, Clarke's Commentary opens to Genesis 1:1 with the text "Many attempts have been made to define the term GOD:...", but, the Text pane which is opened to 1 John 1:1 also *moves* to Genesis 1:1, so it would appear the problem of moving the location of the Text pane appeared sometime between 9.6.6 and 10.3.0.

Edited by Matt Fredenburg

In this case the amplify is just using the word that you are on, not the reference. Preferences can be set to use the reference as well when amplifying. (Accordance:Preferences:General Settings).

Note you can override the preference with the shift key.

So in your case you could either:

1. Change the preference

2. Keep the preference the same but use the shift key when amplifying

3. The other option is to make sure that your cursor is on the reference when you amplify if you want to do to the reference in the tool you are amplifying to.

In this case the amplify is just using the word that you are on, not the reference. Preferences can be set to use the reference as well when amplifying. (Accordance:Preferences:General Settings).

Note you can override the preference with the shift key.

So in your case you could either:

1. Change the preference

2. Keep the preference the same but use the shift key when amplifying

3. The other option is to make sure that your cursor is on the reference when you amplify if you want to do to the reference in the tool you are amplifying to.

Thanks Steve, but I don't understand how that explains why the Text pane that is open also switches location. (As I pointed out in my post, in 9.6.6 for Mac, Amplify behaves as one would expect.)

Matt

OK. Having checked it I know the reason the text moves to Gen 1. I can't tell you what happened in ver 9 because I don't have it installed. In version 10 when you amplify it ties the two panes. If you right click the Clarke's Commentary tab then select "Tab Ties" you should see a current tie which will be your text. As the two are tied they follow each other. Hence if Clarke's goes to Genesis then the ESV will follow it.

Win7-64 Acc 10.3.0

I have followed Matt's steps, but for me it works well.

I think the strange thing going on here is that the reference tool automatically ties to the text, if you are doing a non-reference search, like for the word 'That'. We can tweak this!

I'm still not sure, Matt, how you got it to jump to Gen 1:1 with a triple click.

I think the strange thing going on here is that the reference tool automatically ties to the text, if you are doing a non-reference search, like for the word 'That'. We can tweak this!

I'm still not sure, Matt, how you got it to jump to Gen 1:1 with a triple click.

Hi Joel, I've never done a triple-click in the context of this bug. I've been using the Amplify toolbar button.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Matt

• 1 month later...

This cannot be duplicated in 10.3.3.

Thanks!

Matt