Chapter headings in Accordance

klingbeil

Dear fellow Accordance users,

I was a long-time BW user under Windows but switched recently to Mac and bought Accordance. There are many things I really like but there is something that I am missing tremendously. In BW when one browses a text or looks at search results there is a toolbar-like information windows that indicates the biblical chapter headings. I am attaching a screenshot in a Word document that shows this. Right below the toolbar it says 1Chr 29:29 "Summary of David's Reign"--would it be possible to get something like this also in Accordance? It helps grasp the context of a particular text/section very quickly. I asked other Accordance users and they could not think of anything comparable but thought it would be very helpful. I sent this suggestion already directly to Accordance support and they suggested that I should also post it here to see the level of interest. I am attaching the file with the screenshot.

Geraldpost-32155-0-96920200-1362498411_thumb.jpg

Gerald - You might find it helpful to keep the Outlines of Bible Books module open in your Workspace. It comes with every Collection Accordance sells. The outlines keep us oriented as far as context goes. If you want more detail than the outlines provide, you can choose an outline from a study Bible or commentary and put it in separate zone in said workspace. Not having used BW, I am not accustomed to having the chapter headings, but I am very accustomed to the outlines! They have the advantage of not only telling me where I am, but also where I've been and where I'm going.

• Like 1

Thanks Julie, I will try that. I wish it could just be a line and not the real estate of a full window. But definitely a helpful tool.

Gerald

There have been lots of requests for this feature, and a significant amount of discussion for it in the forums. We are well aware, and have some plans for it in the future.

• Like 1

I'd find such a feature useful, too. It could be my BibleWorks use that has led me to want it, but I'd imagine many users would appreciate it. Glad to hear it's in the works!

Some Notes files include those headings, and if placed in a horizontal pane below the text need to take up very little room.

Hate to be the one to rain on the parade, but I don't want anything like this at all. I don't want my mind thinking a certain way about a passage prior to reading it myself... even if it is a short summary phrase. If this were added, I would definitely want to be able to turn it off.

Ditto with RobM, though there has been enough noise about it to think that some people would find it helpful.

There was an intense discussion on including titles on headings in the text, with strong views on both sides. The general conclusion was that If we implement it, it must be optional for the user. I see no point in repeating the arguments here.

Along similar lines (while not re-hashing the other topic), I wonder--the verse entry box (not sure what it's called) is up at the top of a given tab, but then the triangles to navigate up or down through chapters and verses and books are on the bottom. Has it been considered to put the latter closer to the former?

Abram: this is totally off topic. And there is a verse entry box at the bottom of the tab with the other navigation tools. The entry box at the top is the search entry box where you define what you want to appear in the tab.

Sorry, I disagree that it's totally off topic--the original question asked for "something like this" and I thought I heard in his/her request a way to have not just passage titles, but also potentially chapter reference headings in that same spot, i.e., to know where one was in the text. That appears in the same screenshot klingbeil posted, just underneath the passage title.

That said, I certainly don't plan to inquire further about it on this thread.