[LINK Search All]

rdtaylorjr

I want to run a search using Search All for a Greek word and then use the command [LINK Search All] in GNT-T, LXX1, a few other Greek modules so that I can run the search once and instantly have the relevant results open in their proper windows. Search All is fine if you just need to see the text, but if you need any parsing info you have to open each module individually. I want to search for an inflected Greek form that may or may not occur in any given Greek module, and see all of the ways that form has been parsed in the various modules in which it does occur. If Accordance would allow me to use the [LINK Search All] command, I could simply keep several Analysis panes open and have all the information I need in front of me with just one click.

For some reason, however, it won't allow [LINK Search All]. I can run a search, e.g., in GNT-T and then use [LINK GNT-T], but if the word I'm searching for doesn't happen to occur in GNT-T, I'm out of luck. The same limitation exists if I use the construct window. I want to be able to search for any Greek word that occurs in any of my Greek modules, and have instant access to all of the relevant parsing information, without having to run more than one search.

Is there some other way to do this? If not, is there any possibile way [LINK Search All] could be implemented in the near future?

Thanks!

Have you tried double clicking on the module from the Search All? It'll open up that specific search directly, so you can in a 2-click process, open the Details.

Thanks for the response. Yes I have tried that and it requires that I click to search, and then click on every single module one at a time to open each one of them, and then keep clicking to reopen the analysis window for each module, not to mention moving everything around so that it is all visible, and then clicking to close all of the windows so I can run another search and start over again. The same spelling of a word can often be parsed in several different ways depending on the context. It is those differences that I'm after. This process is just way too cumbersome when running multiple searches, so it becomes much easier to simply give up and rely on my memory or just double-check a few occurrences with instant details, rather than all of them. If [LINK Search All] were enabled, it would be incredibly easy to see all of the possible parsings of a single inflected form instantly.

Why not link the texts you are interested in to one another, so you can update the search in first window and all the other windows and their analyses will update automatically? You can save a workspace with this setup.

Yeah, I've tried that. The problem is not all of the forms I'm searching for occur in any one module. For example, a word may occur in Josephus, Philo, and the LXX, but not in the NT, so if I happened to choose GNT-T as my search window with the others linked to it, it will tell me there are no results, when really the word occurs in all three of those other texts. The only way around this currently is to run a Search All and then run this type of search making sure to choose a text that includes the word as my initial search text. But that also involves changing the LINK commands in every window with each new search.

Edited by rdtaylorjr

Hmm, yes, I see that the search in the linked window will not run if it fails in the original window. This is because running the search in any window runs it in all linked windows but presumably requires it succeed in the original, but I will ask the developers to see whether this cannot be modified.

What if you set up a Workspace without the LINK commands, and saved it as a Favorit workspace, then amplified to it? I do this with Greek texts and tools; not every tool has the lemma I'm searching for, but it doesn't interfere with searching the other tabs. I do this with lemmas, not sure if it would work any differently with inflected forms.

EDIT: I just checked, and if I hold down the option key while amplifying to the favorite workspace, I can search for inflected forms.

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks!