ZIBBCOT/NT + Zondervan Atlas Sale

R. Mansfield

Without a doubt, understanding biblical backgrounds is a major factor in understanding the Bible. This week, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary Series (Old Testament + New Testament) and the Zondervan Atlas of the Bible are on sale at significant discounts.

See http://www.accordancebible.com/ZIBBC_Atlas_Sale for more information.

since 2 1/2 h purchased :)

This was one of my wish list. And when I saw this on the week special i grab it.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

Just a short question. Are the measurements in metric system? As far as I know the Atlas has inches etc. is that right?

Just a short question. Are the measurements in metric system? As far as I know the Atlas has inches etc. is that right?

JayDee, from what I've seen, when units of distance are provided in the Atlas, they are in both miles and kilometers.

See this map from p. 26 for example:

geographical map.png

I ran into that the other day. Let me contact Joel and ask him why this is.

I found a review on the Bible Atlas which says:

hard to understand for anyone who has grown up with metric measurements. Mountain heights are given in feet, annual rainfall is given in inches, distances in miles and temperatures in Fahrenheit. Even worse, obscure US geography is used consistently to reference biblical geography, e.g. "badlands". That makes the book practically quite useless, as the point of a Bible atlas is to be able to conceptualize what the country, geography and cities looked like in ancient times, and it is impossible to do this when you don't understand the measurements and the terminology...

This kept me from buying and asking first - but im actually looking for a Bible Atlas and thought about this one and later the Sacred Bridge (if it doesn't have the same issue with the measurements).

• Like 1

JayDee, I see what you're saying. Yes, I just checked and inches and feet are still used in the Zondervan Atlas of the Bible. In the Sacred Bridge, when ever inches and feet are used, mm/cm and meters are used, respectively.

Both are good atlases, content-wise, but the Sacred Bridge may be more accessible to those outside the US.

By the way, you should be able to see the graphic now. Joel fixed the settings.

To view attachments I always have to be logged in... it would be nice if we could see attachments without logging in.

EDIT: I see people saying they cannot see the attachments, thats one reason i mentioned it on this thread.

Edited by Joseph Landaw

JayDee, there are a couple of other pages displayed on the Carta site. http://store.carta-jerusalem.com/50-the-sacred-bridge-9789652208491.html if you go to details and download you can see the contents and sample pages. It so depends on what you want and your budget (and if you are prepared to wait on the off chance of a sale, sacred bridge does come up on sale periodically). The Zondervan is ok and I have it on my iPad but my go to atlas is still the Holman bible atlas, which is hard copy as it's not available in accordance (and that is metric) but has better maps for what I want. Are you after maps or text? There is also the accordance atlas (if you are not worried about iOS or text) and a few other variants such as the cut down version of sacred bridge, the Carta new century handbook and atlas of the bible. Difficult decisions, especially as you can't always see the paper copies to compare. My advice is to look at as much info as possible from other web sites including amazon to see look inside or download kindle examples. People here will usually answer specific questions and many have copies of both resources you are looking at, but get what you think is right and it looks like you have set your sights on sacred bridge and the accordance integration makes all other ebook forms pale into insignificance. ;o)

But the Zondervan is at a very attractive price right now if you need something right now. There was a another thread about atlases:

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12937&hl=

Edited by ukfraser

Still no access to this attachment Rick

So I am posting it (p26 in Zondervan Atlas)

Well - I can’t post images at all in this thread.

When I went to the “Use full editor” mode though, and I scrolled down through the history, the image was available, just not in normal view. Weird. And weird that I can’t upload an image.

Just for reference, I can see the image just fine. I wonder what the difference is?

The inverted view of the world we have down here!

FWIW, I've ordered the bundle and atlas. I hadn't considered it before but the price and good reviews I've read convinced me to get them.

I still can’t view this image - must be because I am staff!

I can view the image, FWIW.

Larry, I think you'll be happy with your purchase. I use each of the resources (the atlas and ZIBBCOT/NT) every week, and almost always find something that illuminates the text in a new way for me.