Examples for Hebrew Grammar

tks454

If I were to take say, a 100 lexical items, from a particular Hebrew grammar, and wanted to find examples within the Hebrew Bible in which those words occur side by side so that I could give examples to beginning students of the words they know used in the Hebrew Bible, how would I do that?

Great question. In the search entry, hit command-L to get the lemma dialog. Just click on the words you want to enter. Accordance will compile a comma separated list. Once you have selected all the words you want, click ok. Then, use the Search Menu item, enter the <Within ? Words> command, and compile the same list or another list of however (?) many words you desire intervening.

• Like 1

Great question. In the search entry, hit command-L to get the lemma dialog. Just click on the words you want to enter. Accordance will compile a comma separated list. Once you have selected all the words you want, click ok. Then, use the Search Menu item, enter the <Within ? Words> command, and compile the same list or another list of however (?) many words you desire intervening.

When try <within x words> I also get results with only one word. Is there a way to limit the search to verses that contain more than one of the words in the list? Or do have to search for each word separatly like

word1 <within 10 words> (long, list, of, words)?

Elias,

Your question prompted the same question to me when I answered. I didn't have much time to follow it all the way through, but I believe I did find several searches where each list (array) Accordance cycled through its contents. It's certainly possible to do so algorithmically, it's just a matter of empirically verifying it does so. My impressions were that it does indeed compare each word of the array against the other array. So, a list of say (wordA1, wordA2, wordA3) <within 10 words> (wordZ1, wordZ2, wordZ3) would find results of such as: "wordA1 . . . (≤ 10 freq) . . . wordZ1" or "wordA1 . . . (≤ 10 freq) . . . wordZ2" or "wordA1 . . . (≤ 10 freq) . . . wordZ3" etc. through both sides of list. Thus, if you only want one word, yes, you will need to make construct one word 'list' within another list of words—which is one way to do it. Another way to do this would be to open a tab, run a search for a list of words (word1, word2, word3). Accordance parses this: word1 <OR> word2 <OR> word3. Then either duplicate the tab or open a new one, and use the [HITS Tab Name] <within ? words> newWord.

Edited by James Tucker