Accessing Accordance modules via the web

tebel

I was wondering if Accordance had plans allow its users to access their books via the web, rather than through an application tied to a particular OS, like Mac or Windows. I have found myself tempted by a Chromebook, but the one thing that prevents me from getting one is that I would not be able to access Accordance.

Luoar

• Like 1

I don't believe our licenses allow for that possibility.

One need not have access to all of the modules, but even access to some of them would be nice.

Dr. J, I'm quite sure I'll never get my head around all the intricacies of licensing and copyright.

A few weeks ago my friend let me see his bible software from another leading company who have just recently broke through this on-line barrier. Although I am totally sold on Accordance I must say I was pretty impressed at his ability to access all his modules, other people's 'public domain' user notes and external web links. Cloud usage definitely appears to be the way forward for many applications. I would hope that Accordance would see this as an attractive feature for new customers and the next generation of computer users. I really hope they will vigorously pursue this as a feature for the future.

Edited by paulmj21

• 4 weeks later...

What about the possibility of allowing users remote access to their own Accordance modules but which are installed on computers at Accordance?

If you want something immediately, there are already a number of programs that will allow people to access their personal computers from an iPad. I've used TeamViewer (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/teamviewer-for-remote-control/id357069581?mt=8) with some success, using a stylus and my iPad to work the full version of Accordance on my computer (with all its modules). I am sure there are other programs, perhaps even some Android versions of such apps that would work equally well. Perhaps some other folks will chime in with suggestions.

We have increased our use of iCloud and DropBox for Accordance iOS. Our mobile app also used Easy Install, so users can download any module they need from the internet. I understand that's not what you are suggesting, but it does point up we're already using the cloud to some degree.

As to a full-blown web app, I am personally not yet convinced that's the way to go, for any of my programs. I do have monthly subscription plans to MS Office, Adobe CS6, and Adobe Captivate, but those programs reside on my computer, where I like them. They are not dependent upon an internet connection to work, just to periodically renew my subscriptions.

I remember when people just had dumb terminals at their desks, tied to some central server, which stored all their files and programs. I also remember the hassles when the central server went down or the traffic slowed everything to a crawl. I loved the move to personal computers, with everything stored locally. Ig uess I am just an independent sort of guy. That's why I am personally in a "wait and see" mode for these new web apps.

Now, that's just my personal opinion, not our company's, but I know of no current plans to develop any sort of web app.

If you want a really inexpensive computing solution, have you considered a "hackintosh"? ;-)

• Like 1

"Dr J" makes a number of important points which warrant consideration. I am coming at the issue from perhaps a different perspective. I would like to be able to access some key Accordance resources directly through my web browser, and as much as I respect Apple, I would like to do this without feeling tied its brand. The same applies to Microsoft and Google. Though there are certainly some problems with a cloud based approach (and Dr J mentioned PDF's in particular) I do also think that things have moved on incredibly in the past few years so that we are now at a stage when one is in a position to do "almost" everything directly from the web itself--without the need for an OS in the form of Apple or Windows.

• 1 month later...

Silver: Have you checked out Chrome Remote Desktop in the Chrome Web Store? You would still need a Mac running Accordance, but you could work with it remotely through a web browser.

Thanks for the tip, Superhua--any suggestions on how to best use that app, especially with Accordance?

No specific tip aside from experimenting with the programs and the set-up. :-) I am at that stage now while I evaluate whether it would be a viable solution.

I am one who really wants to have my stuff on my Mac so that I can access all my modules when I have no wireless connection. While I really love the DropBox sync (which is working without any problems), I like knowing I can sync at home with our home wireless even if our cable is down, even if that is a very rare occurrence. I like redundancy and multiple back-ups when it comes to technology. I do not want to be dependent on an external connection 24/7.

While I don't own everything Accordance has to offer, and never will, I still have a pretty extensive library — the app and modules take up less than 10G on my Air. Even an entry level 11" MBA has room for all that.

I think I fall into the "no internet connection" bandwagon as well. I prefer my apps/data to be stored locally, and use the cloud primarily as a tertiary backup medium.

As a caveat to my previous statement though, liscensing modules via the web is completely possible. You tie the liscense to an account (which accordance does already), and then the web application would require a login with a username and password to access said modules. Without a login, the random web surfer would only see a login splash screen, without access to the program or modules.

So, it could be done, The question would be: Is Oaktree was willing to invest the time and money to provide this resource?

Frankly, since personnel and their time are limited resources, many of us might prefer more module development over cloud access to the already installed stuff.

Additionally, because of the quality of Accordance products, I will always buy an Accordance release before purchasing elsewhere.

My guess is that by the time the Windows release is production a number (most) of the multi-platform issues will have been properly understood and solutions will have been developed. At that point options for multi-platform support will likely be easier to explore and develop if there is enough interest. Browsers are not truly consistent platforms. And getting a consistent look and feel on a browser solution would be work even if a hosting model were developed. And given the many sophisticated display elements used in Acc. I would expect it to be non-trivial to get it all working on Chrome/Firefox/Safari/Opera/etc...... Notwithstanding that there is investment on the hosting side to get this going and then ongoing care and feeding. That would have to be paid for somehow. And of course dinos like me would continue to desire the its mine its on my laptop/desktop its not on the net kinda model.

Not trying to sink this particular ship but there are many things to consider.

Hackintosh might sound appealing but its got its own issues ... and the Windows Acc. port will pretty much destroy the use case for Acc.

Thx

D