Formatting in user Bible texts

Andrew Perriman

I have been trying to add html formatting to a user bible text but keep getting a message saying "Expecting one or more HTML tags at the end of the text... to terminate earlier HTML tags in the verse."

I have one verse with html for test purposes:

Heb 1:14 Are they not all <i>ministering spirits</i> sent for service for the sake of those about to inherit salvation?

I can't see anything wrong with that. If I delete the <i>...</i>, the file is imported normally.

I am using Accordance 10.1.

Further to this, I have found that the user Bible will import correctly if I place the closing tag at the end of the verse, as it says in the warning message:

Heb 1:14 Are they not all <i>ministering spirits sent for service for the sake of those about to inherit salvation?</i>

The text file is saved as UTF-8 as it has the character ē in it.

I am not sure how it works in this application but maybe it wants to see <html> and </html> at the beginning of your passage and at the end? Just a thought of something to try. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about this particular application of it might be able to shed light on this better than I. I suppose it won't hurt to try that idea, though. Worst case scenario is that it still won't work. :-)

I am not sure how it works in this application but maybe it wants to see <html> and </html> at the beginning of your passage and at the end? Just a thought of something to try. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about this particular application of it might be able to shed light on this better than I. I suppose it won't hurt to try that idea, though. Worst case scenario is that it still won't work. :-)

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly it didn't help.

I copied from your original post the Heb 1:14 text

Heb 1:14 Are they not all <i>ministering spirits</i> sent for service for the sake of those about to inherit salvation?

pasted it into a Text Edit document, converted it to plain text, and saved it in UTF-8 encoding. Then, I imported it into Accordance as a User Bible with no problems. I don't have any idea why you're experiencing the trouble you are, but perhaps quitting Accordance and re-opening the program may help. If that doesn't work, perhaps restarting your computer (just stabbing in the dark here).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6861041/User%20Bible%20import.png

Edited by Sean R.

Thanks for trying! Shutting down Accordance and rebooting made no difference.

What version of Accordance did you try it in? I am using 10.1.

I have uploaded a text file with Hebrews 1 if you or anyone else wants to try it out. Two verses have italics formatting in them. If I remove the formatting the file imports without a hitch.

Hebrews1.txt

The file you uploaded doesn't have any formatting markers in it. What verse, other than v. 14, has italics in it? I'll try importing it.

I imported the file you uploaded, italicizing oikoumenē in v. 6 and ministering spirits in v. 14. Accordance threw the file back at me twice. Once I made two changes, it worked alright.

1. It didn't like the closing marker (</i>) in v. 6. Once I moved it to after the comma (,) it worked fine. Thus I changed it from

But again whenever he brings the firstborn into the <i>oikoumenē</i>, he says, "And let all angels of God worship him."

to

But again whenever he brings the firstborn into the <i>oikoumenē,</i> he says, "And let all angels of God worship him."

2. It didn't like the closing marker (</i> in v. 14. So I put a space between it and the preceding word, removed the space following the marker so as to make sure didn't have two spaces, and Accordance took it just fine.

I'll mess with it a bit more to see if I can figure out why it is snagging on these closing markers.

The problem seems to center around the ē. If this character is removed, there are no issues related to the character formatting markers. With ē, I cannot import without the added spaces discussed above.

One other issue I just noticed is that Accordance is not displaying the chapter number, just the book and verse. This doesn't seem to impact verse searching at all, but I wonder why there is this display issue (and it's not related to the text display preferences).

Edited by Sean R.

Sean, many thanks for your help. Your solution worked—there is a problem if the </i> immediately follows ē.

When I load the full document, which is not a complete translation, chapter numbers show as expected.