New World Translation

Chris Echols

Of course I've invited a couple of JW's into my home to do bible study, as I love studying the bible. The first time they came, we couldn't even get past the first page of there book entitled, "What does the Bible Really Teach?" as they were telling me stuff that wasn't in the bible. So I invited them back for another "study session". Only this time, I plugged my mac up to a 50" plasma and we all followed along with a few scripture versions side by side in Accordance. Needless to say, they were impressed as I dug deeper into the greek and the Hebrew of certain words, but then the inevitable question was asked:

"Is there a NWT module for that software? At first I wanted to say, of course there isn't. Why would there be? But now I wish that there were so that they could see what I already know about the NWT.

So... will there ever be a NWT module for Accordance, I didn't see one in the online store....

Thanks,

Chris

You could grab the text here and make your own User Bible for your own use.

(For copying and pasting, switch to the non-framed version using the icons at the bottom.)

Edited by Joe Weaks

• 2 years later...

I have the text if you are willing to create a translation with in accordance?

• 1 year later...

So anything with the New World Translation 2013? I cannot seem to find the text anywhere.

• 6 months later...

I should have explained myself. Has anyone taken the text and converted it to Accordance? Once I finish up my classes I might take it up. But if other people have, then I won't do it.

I have made an Accordance version of it - in response to this post actually.

• Like 2

Hi Steve

You are fast.

I have done the german version to Accordance (by hand) and it was a lot of work with all the <sup> </sup> and <br>and ¶ to get the same visualize than the original. But I must say Accordance does it not correctly show in every verse on a new line. The <br> makes a space line which is wrong, this must be if ¶ is set. And in the reading modus the ¶ in the chapter is also ignored, but there the <br> is correct only as new line.

I have converted it from the epub, but all verses are there in one line in TextWrangler.

How does you make that the new verse comes in a new line?

Greetings

Fabian

post-32723-0-71585800-1417967615_thumb.png

Edited by Fabian

Hi Fabian,

I was not worried about trying to get it to look exactly the same as the original. It is not a translation I will use much, just if I get into discussions with Jehovah's Witnesses. I used the paragraph mark to get spaces between paragraphs (if selected in preferences) and the <br> to break between verses and start them on a new line. i was not worried about splitting the poetic verses further.

Hello Steve

Thanks for your replay. In which App do you do this?

I used the paragraph mark to get spaces between paragraphs (if selected in preferences) and the <br> to break between verses and start them on a new line

I couldn't find it.

Greetings

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

I just did this in Word. I copied the text into Word and then converted it to a format ready for import into Accordance.

I used macros to set the '¶' in the place where the paragraphs are throughout the text. I had some trouble with there being too many paragraphs and the individual verses in Psalms, Job, Proverbs etc were paragraphed which gave a space between each so I used a macro to convert them to use <br>. Then I saved the Word document as a text document and imported it.

This is the first User Bible I have set up so it was a useful as a teaching exercise.

Edited by Steve King

If you would like to share the user module I would be interested in having it in Accordance it is always useful to have something like this handy to compare it.

-Dan

• Like 2

I would like to have a copy in Accordance as well. I live in a parsonage, so JW's typically stay away, but it would be good to have on hand.

Hello Steve

Thank, my macro experiences are on very low level, that seems that I have to grow up there :mellow:

Greetings

Fabian

How are the terms of use for this publications to share?

I am not sure but seeing as the website above is making it available freely and as long as no changes are made, nor fees charged, one would guess they wouldn't object to it's being shared.

-Dan

Certainly happy to share it with those who would like a copy. PM me with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

Edited by Steve King

Do the terms of distribution/use allow us to host the file on the Exchange Steve?

Edited by Ken Simpson

Hi Ken,

I do not think so. This is the relevant section from the Terms of Use:

"What constitutes proper use? You may view, download, and print copyrighted artwork, electronic publications, music, photos, text, videos (“Content”) from this website for your own personal and non-commercial purposes, subject to the restrictions set out below and elsewhere in these Terms of Use. Hence, you may not:

• Post Content from this website on the Internet (any website, file-sharing site, or social network);
  • Republish Content from this website with or as part of any software application;
  • Reproduce, duplicate, copy, or otherwise exploit material on this website for a commercial purpose or for money (even if no profit is involved), including the distribution of computer applications based on, connected, or linked (whether static or dynamic) to this website;"
Edited by Steve King

Seems pretty clear really. Thanks Steve.

It is a shame it dose seem to have some interesting fresh translations of the text... i am well aware of the questionable translations as well.

-Dan

• 3 years later...

Does anyone know why Accordance remove this module (NWT) from their software program?  I installed mine for personal use and it appears Accordance has remove it.  I understand there can be issues with commercial usage of this Bible, since it is not sold but only distributed without cost.  However, I am no longer able to use my personal modules. (Two editions) I think this just happened with the recent update on January 8th.  Now, when I open my workspace it freezes not just my Accordance but my whole computer.  Does anyone know what is going on with this? 

Thanks,

Wondering William

Edited by billman

See in your folder on the Windows where Accordance store the Bibles. Sorry I don't know where they are on Windows. They should still be in this Folder except you have deleted them.  And double click on the modules install they again. 

Or simply import the txt again. 

Maybe you have highlighted some parts in this Bibles and this could be the problem now. Just a wild guess, but I think I might I have read the Highlighting is sometimes problematic.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

It had to be removed because it had no official sanction as I understood it.. while the ebook file can be distributed freely putting it into a user Bible violates their terms of usage.

-dan

Fabian,

First, thank you very much for your reply.  

Next, Still not sure exactly what happen but the text works after I imported the .txt again.  As far as the location on Windows, it is a hidden folder on the hard drive.  My is C: ProgramData (hidden) then "accordance"  (not Oak Tree as Program File has)  Modules- Texts. However, the NWT texts were no longer there either. (I did not delete them at least on purpose)  Not sure what happened.  But things are ok now, except my saved workspaces do not work but instead freeze the whole computer. This is no doubt because the workspaces where based on the original modules. Therefore,  I will just need to delete the workspaces and save new ones.  :)

Once again thank you.

Bill 

Edited by billman