Navigation in Search results

Guntis

I search for "wrath" in the whole Bible. Lots of results and the results list is very long (266 hits in NRSV). Lots of scrolling needed.

Could you please add Bible book name abbreviations (which appear in the search hits) along the right side of the screen, like a scrollbar (something like alphabet letters in the iPhone's Address Book) to make it easy to navigate search results?

Secondly, maybe there could be some way to open any search result verse in its context and then return back to the search results? For example, tapping on any verse text (not its reference) in the search results list would slide the whole list aside and would open that verse in its context? Then just tap on the Back button or Search button in the toolbar and return back to the search results list. That way both search results list and any given verse in its full context would be available.

I search for "wrath" in the whole Bible. Lots of results and the results list is very long (266 hits in NRSV). Lots of scrolling needed.

Could you please add Bible book name abbreviations (which appear in the search hits) along the right side of the screen, like a scrollbar (something like alphabet letters in the iPhone's Address Book) to make it easy to navigate search results?

I quite like this idea. The Pocketsword app uses something like this for navigation and it works really well.

Jonathan

Secondly, maybe there could be some way to open any search result verse in its context and then return back to the search results? For example, tapping on any verse text (not its reference) in the search results list would slide the whole list aside and would open that verse in its context? Then just tap on the Back button or Search button in the toolbar and return back to the search results list. That way both search results list and any given verse in its full context would be available.

The simplest workaround at the moment is to set the Search Context to "All". All results are shown in the full context of the Bible you are searching and the up/down arrows in the bottom toolbar can be used to quickly jump between the results. You can set this context as the default under the Settings view.

Scott

Yes, that's only temporary solution. I can turn on full context, but that way would be really hard to find the verse from 266 hits which I'm looking for. I need only hits list with possibility open any hit verse in its context an return back to the search results list.

Yes, that's only temporary solution. I can turn on full context, but that way would be really hard to find the verse from 266 hits which I'm looking for. I need only hits list with possibility open any hit verse in its context an return back to the search results list.

Well, there are a few approaches to improving this user experience. We could certainly add a verse action that displays the selected verse in a separate view with full context. We could add a way from the current search view to easily change the current context setting like we do in the desktop with the context slider. We could show the verse in full context in a popover style view. Not sure yet what is the best approach for the iOS app.

Scott.

Popups still limit reading and overview. I would suggest to have two lists, two separate views

Popups still limit reading and overview. I would suggest to have two lists, two separate views

As I've noted before, viewing any text in Accordance is really viewing a set of search results. Even when viewing the full Bible text you are really viewing the results of a search for "all verses" via the wildcard character (*). What you are suggesting is certainly doable although you will end up with two separate text search views with the same module loaded.

I'm curious what you do when running Accordance for Mac in this situation. Do you amplify, open in Context, etc?

Yes, two separate search views are very good solution. Transparent switching from one to another, especially on the small iPhone's screen. On my Mac I use Command+5. It opens selected verse in the separate pane, very easy to check any verse in its context.

Yes, two separate search views are very good solution. Transparent switching from one to another, especially on the small iPhone's screen. On my Mac I use Command+5. It opens selected verse in the separate pane, very easy to check any verse in its context.

Command+5 is the key command for Context on the Amplify menu. So the newly opened zone is a simple verses pane that shows either the entire bible with the selected verses bookmarked or just the selected verses. It is not actually a full search pane. Interestingly enough we've just added this pane type to the iOS app for another purpose.

In any event I understand your desired workflow and user experience.

Thanks for the feedback,

Scott.

• 2 months later...

Command+5 is the key command for Context on the Amplify menu.

Command+5 on iPhone? ;) Wow!

Please add book abbreviation list down the right side of the screen so I could quickly scroll search results. Like in Address Book we have alphabet letters. Much easier to navigate. Actually BibleReader 5 also has this feature — try searching any frequently used word there and see the results screen.

• 2 years later...

3 years have passed… still no hits references index along he right side of the screen… PLEASE. These are small things that make big difference in daily usage.