I can not go to a verse found from the search results in any Bible version.

JohnO

I can not go to a verse found from the search results in any Bible version. I am using version 1.0.1 Since I installed version 1 it has been this way. I've deleted and did a fresh dowload from the device. Then I reinstalled it on my ipad and iphone.

Any ideas?

John

John,

Do you perhaps mean that once you've done a search, you can't figure out how to see a hit verse in context?

Many programs have separate search views and reading views when it comes to searching the Bible. So when you do a search, you get a list of results and then you click or tap on one of those hits to see that verse in context.

Accordance is different. We don't separate the search view from the reading view. In the desktop (Mac) version of Accordance, when you do a search, you only see the hit verses, and when you want to see context, you simply drag a slider to add as much context as you want. In the iOS version of Accordance, we don't yet have an easy way to see the context of a search hit. That's at the top of our list of features to add.

In the meantime, when you do a search, you can choose to see your hits in context by clicking Options (in the search view), then Add Context, and choosing a context of All. When you perform searches this way, the results will be displayed in the context of the whole Bible, and you can use the up and down arrows to go from one hit verse to the next.

I hope this helps.

David,

I mean this. In iOS on iPad I search for dark* in the ESVi. I get a list of verses. I see the verse I want to go to in Exodus 10:15. I slide the displayed results up to Exo. 10:15. Now, I go to the lower right corner of the screen. An icon with a rectangle and an inside arrow is there. I tap it. A 3-scroll wheel dialog appears. It preselects Ex. 10:15. I press GoTo. I assume it will take me to the ESVi and it doesn't. It takes me back to the verse list.

On Twitter, a tech person replied and sent me here after instructing me to delete and re-download the app to see if it would repeat the same error. It did.

What do you mean by wanting to go to Ex 10:15. You are at that verse. Perhaps you want to see the context, in which case go back to seach and Options and add some verses or all context. Then the down arrow wil take you down to each "hit" verse.

GoTo only navigates within the verses currently showing.

Thank you for replying.

Clearly, I am assuming the application [which I love] is supposed to do something it is not meant to do.

I thought that in the iOS application I could search by word for a verse. So, I searched for dark* it produces the proper results. So, I see the verse for which I was looking, it is Ex 10:!5. I want it to go back to the two pane view from which I initiated this search. So, I go to the lower corner and see goto. the reference is preselected, I hit goto. At this point I think I am to go to the pre-search two pane view from which I conduct my normal browsing. However, I am not taken there. I am taken back to the search results.

So, now, at this point your instructions tell me to go to options and add verses. I don't have anything to add options to add some verses in this iOS app.

Please be patient with me. Help me see what to do or where this option button is.

John

Thank you for replying.

Clearly, I am assuming the application [which I love] is supposed to do something it is not meant to do.

I thought that in the iOS application I could search by word for a verse. So, I searched for dark* it produces the proper results. So, I see the verse for which I was looking, it is Ex 10:!5. I want it to go back to the two pane view from which I initiated this search. So, I go to the lower corner and see goto. the reference is preselected, I hit goto. At this point I think I am to go to the pre-search two pane view from which I conduct my normal browsing. However, I am not taken there. I am taken back to the search results.

So, now, at this point your instructions tell me to go to options and add verses. I don't have anything to add options to add some verses in this iOS app.

Please be patient with me. Help me see what to do or where this option button is.

John

Hi John,

I did the search for dark* in the ESVi and from within a two pane view with the ESVi notes showing at the bottom. Really what you need to do is tap up in the search area where you would have initiated your search. There should be a row appear underneath the search box with the words ESVi , Words, Verses, Commands, Tags (which is grayed out) and Options. If you tap the Options button to the right, another screen will appear. This screen is where you can add context. I think the default is none, but you have the ability to change it from None to 1 through 9 verses or All Context, you then go back to the previous screen and then tap Done at the top left. You can then search again for dark* and you will have whatever amount of context you selected. Hope that helps. It isn't exactly optimal to choose the All context since you have to wade through the full text to find what you are looking for, so I suggest 2 or 3 verses. Either way, if you have two panes open, it should maintain the two pane view.

Hi John,

I did the search for dark* in the ESVi and from within a two pane view with the ESVi notes showing at the bottom. Really what you need to do is tap up in the search area where you would have initiated your search. There should be a row appear underneath the search box with the words ESVi , Words, Verses, Commands, Tags (which is grayed out) and Options. If you tap the Options button to the right, another screen will appear. This screen is where you can add context. I think the default is none, but you have the ability to change it from None to 1 through 9 verses or All Context, you then go back to the previous screen and then tap Done at the top left. You can then search again for dark* and you will have whatever amount of context you selected. Hope that helps. It isn't exactly optimal to choose the All context since you have to wade through the full text to find what you are looking for, so I suggest 2 or 3 verses. Either way, if you have two panes open, it should maintain the two pane view.

Many thanks! I see where my choice of the word, "context" was misleading. Allow me to explain.

Following your step by step, my expectation was to slide my finger up until Ex. 10:15 was at the top. Then to choose the goto dialog screen. When I choose that it returns me to the passage of the chapter and verse without the other searched results being a part as I found the verse I wanted to begin my work on that passage. e.g just like it was before I conducted the search. just in the new area of Exodus 10:15

Many thanks! I see where my choice of the word, "context" was misleading. Allow me to explain.

Following your step by step, my expectation was to slide my finger up until Ex. 10:15 was at the top. Then to choose the goto dialog screen. When I choose that it returns me to the passage of the chapter and verse without the other searched results being a part as I found the verse I wanted to begin my work on that passage. e.g just like it was before I conducted the search. just in the new area of Exodus 10:15

When you are searching for a word, your results are pulled up within the Bible text that you had open. You never left your Bible. Essentially it has filtered out only the verses with your word and displayed the results for you, in this case (dark*). You should see the full verse where the word is mentioned, unlike a concordance which will only display a few words of the verse. If you desire to dig further by studying the verses where this word appears, there is no need to use the Go To icon or even add context. You are already at the starting point in your desired Bible. You can at this point open up a reference tool (for example, I opened up a 2nd pane with the Expositor's Bible Commentary). When I scroll through my found verses, the notes or commentary should also scroll to that new verse and give me the insights into that verse.

If you are looking to do a word study in the original languages in the iOS app, someone better equipped than I might have to jump in on this. I hope this helps.

I find the Accordance iOS app to live up to the Accordance name. It really is tops, even though it's the 1.0.1 version.

If you want the whole passage showing set it to "All" for add context and then you can use the arrows to go between your search results.

David

Thank you all very much. I've readjusted my expectations. I appreciate the community approach to helping.

Blessing on you all!

I think that currently this is only a temporary solution. As you see we users expect Accordance for IOS to discard search mode once we tap on the Go To button, and really Go To that Bible verse in it's context. It's just so intuitive! I think you have to readjust your application here! ;)

• 5 months later...

John,

Do you perhaps mean that once you've done a search, you can't figure out how to see a hit verse in context?

Many programs have separate search views and reading views when it comes to searching the Bible. So when you do a search, you get a list of results and then you click or tap on one of those hits to see that verse in context.

Accordance is different. We don't separate the search view from the reading view. In the desktop (Mac) version of Accordance, when you do a search, you only see the hit verses, and when you want to see context, you simply drag a slider to add as much context as you want. In the iOS version of Accordance, we don't yet have an easy way to see the context of a search hit. That's at the top of our list of features to add.

In the meantime, when you do a search, you can choose to see your hits in context by clicking Options (in the search view), then Add Context, and choosing a context of All. When you perform searches this way, the results will be displayed in the context of the whole Bible, and you can use the up and down arrows to go from one hit verse to the next.

I hope this helps.

Is there any news on this issue yet? I'm a fairly new iOS user and found it cumbersome to search and then to view the context of the search hits. The "add all context" option is a work around but is cumbersome since you cannot see all the hit verses quickly. Another thing that would be nice, would be to the ability to go "back" to search results. For example: I do a search and it returns numerous results, after positioning the verse of choice at the top of the window, I tap the book icon and it takes me to the that scripture. It would be nice to have a "back" or "return to search results" button. Another nagging issue is the way the search window operates when it comes to the end of the search results. When the last hit comes to the bottom of the window, it refuses to scroll, thereby not giving me any option to go to that context easily. I don't mean to nag, but only suggest some improvements to the user experience. Thanks for all the hard work!

Blessings,

Tom Wagler

I've heard nothing. I primarily use Olive Tree's Bible Reader because it works like I think. However, I have more resources with Accordance. Regrettably, all I can use Acc. for is for a specific English tool search. then I go back to Bible Reader to resume my study.

I'm hoping someone with more clout than me can affect change; I'm just a customer. I wished Acc. would copy Olive Tree's interface. It would make things easier for me.

I just don't know people who think that this method is normal

The next rev is due out next week, and it does greatly improve the ability to go back to the full text, and to look something up in one module and then go back to where you were in the text. It has other improvements, too. Thank you for your patience. We are listening and working, it just takes time to get all the new features up to the point of a new release.

I knew in time it would come. Thank you.

I'm fairness one can not compare a version 1.x to a 5.x program. BR, grew to where it is too.

I am grateful for the labors and passion the folks have at Accordance. I believe there is not better Bible study tool on a computer than Accordance.

Archived