Syriac in User Notes

David Knoll

I created notes containing Syriac text in my Accordance 9.3.3. When I sync my IOS device with my Mac, I can open the notes on the IOS app notes editor. Though English and Hebrew are visible in the editor, the Syriac text shows up as a group of rectangles.

I created notes containing Syriac text in my Accordance 9.3.3. When I sync my IOS device with my Mac, I can open the notes on the IOS app notes editor. Though English and Hebrew are visible in the editor, the Syriac text shows up as a group of rectangles.

This is a known issue that we really don't have a workaround for at the moment. In the iOS app we use the system supplied text view for user note editing. While we supply fonts with the app that can render Syriac and Uncial characters, the font substitution algorithm doesn't consider app supplied fonts. And since we can only specify a single font for the text view, we chose a default font that could cover Hebrew and Greek but unfortunately doesn't also contain glyphs for Syriac and Uncial.

Note that while it renders as boxes in the edit view, it still gets drawn correctly in other parts of the app where we use our text display engine (which is not set up to handle editing in the iOS app at this point).

I've filed a bug with Apple to enhance the font substitution algorithm to consider app supplied fonts so hopefully this will improve in the future. The alternative would be to write our own Unicode based text editing view that would handle this issue and style information. This is a non-trivial task and frankly there are higher priorities on the to do list.

Scott

This is a known issue that we really don't have a workaround for at the moment. In the iOS app we use the system supplied text view for user note editing. While we supply fonts with the app that can render Syriac and Uncial characters, the font substitution algorithm doesn't consider app supplied fonts. And since we can only specify a single font for the text view, we chose a default font that could cover Hebrew and Greek but unfortunately doesn't also contain glyphs for Syriac and Uncial.

Note that while it renders as boxes in the edit view, it still gets drawn correctly in other parts of the app where we use our text display engine (which is not set up to handle editing in the iOS app at this point).

I've filed a bug with Apple to enhance the font substitution algorithm to consider app supplied fonts so hopefully this will improve in the future. The alternative would be to write our own Unicode based text editing view that would handle this issue and style information. This is a non-trivial task and frankly there are higher priorities on the to do list.

Scott

Thank You.

Archived