iOS 1.3 - Some issues

Kogame

Dear Accordance team,

First of all, let me say that 1.3 is a HUGE improvement. I really love it and I read now more on my iPad than on the MacBook. Thanks. There are some issues and comments that I would like to contribute.

1. Highlight colors and labels

I have some predefined highlights on my MacBook. I synchronized to the iPad and everthing worked fine. Then I changed the order of the labels on the MB and synchronized again. My iPad now shows the same order of labels, but the colors are still as before the sorting. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

2. Highlighting of words

Like on the MB, I would prefer to highlight only single words rather than the whole verse. I frequently mark parts of verses in different colors, but right now that is not possible. Is this planned for future releases?

3. Saving split screens

The saving of contents when changing books is a huge improvement. However, would it also be possible to save the split screen configuration? For example, I usually have about 1/4 of the screen for my 2nd window. When I change books and come back, the split screen is by default half of the screen.

4. Favorite locations

This is a bit of a nice-to-have. I frequently change my split screen between a reference tool and my personal notes. Since they are in different categories, I have to execute many taps to get there. Would it be possible to introduce something like favorite locations, that could show up on the top level like the categories? That way I could change my locations with just 2 taps.

5. Editing of user tools

Viewing user tools is a first step. However, I use my user tool as a bible diary. I am glad that I can refer back to previous entries. However, when I want to make a new entry, I have to use some other text editor and then copy/paste it once I am back at my MacBook. Then only after synchronization I have the update on my iPad. Are you planning to allow editing in user tools on the iPad?

Thanks again for the great work. The functionality in the current version is really very good already.

Dear Accordance team,

First of all, let me say that 1.3 is a HUGE improvement. I really love it and I read now more on my iPad than on the MacBook. Thanks. There are some issues and comments that I would like to contribute.

1. Highlight colors and labels

I have some predefined highlights on my MacBook. I synchronized to the iPad and everthing worked fine. Then I changed the order of the labels on the MB and synchronized again. My iPad now shows the same order of labels, but the colors are still as before the sorting. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

This is clearly a bug. I can reproduce it so we'll get it fixed for the next release.

2. Highlighting of words

Like on the MB, I would prefer to highlight only single words rather than the whole verse. I frequently mark parts of verses in different colors, but right now that is not possible. Is this planned for future releases?

Yes.

3. Saving split screens

The saving of contents when changing books is a huge improvement. However, would it also be possible to save the split screen configuration? For example, I usually have about 1/4 of the screen for my 2nd window. When I change books and come back, the split screen is by default half of the screen.

Known issue that I just haven't had time to address yet.

4. Favorite locations

This is a bit of a nice-to-have. I frequently change my split screen between a reference tool and my personal notes. Since they are in different categories, I have to execute many taps to get there. Would it be possible to introduce something like favorite locations, that could show up on the top level like the categories? That way I could change my locations with just 2 taps.

Our plan is to add a "Recent Modules" category which will appear at the top of the Library view. It will contain, of course, an accumulating list of modules that you have opened during the current session. So if you are switching back and forth between a few modules those will certainly appear in this list. For your specific usage of switching between modules for the parallel pane, we will have to consider how to filter the recents category to only contain modules appropriate for this case.

A Favorites category is also a good idea.

5. Editing of user tools

Viewing user tools is a first step. However, I use my user tool as a bible diary. I am glad that I can refer back to previous entries. However, when I want to make a new entry, I have to use some other text editor and then copy/paste it once I am back at my MacBook. Then only after synchronization I have the update on my iPad. Are you planning to allow editing in user tools on the iPad?

The building of user tools on the fly is a pretty complicated chunk of code that we have not ported over to the iOS app. And frankly haven't been planning to. But I can certainly see a need to allow some type of journaling or note taking that is not tied specifically to a verse reference like user notes are. Give us some time to figure out the best solution to meet this need.

Thanks again for the great work. The functionality in the current version is really very good already.

Thanks for all the feedback,

Scott.

Thanks for all the updates. I am more excited about the next release :)

Three more things I would like to mention

1. Background color of user tools

In the settings, I have set the "Books" background for the text and tools windows. This works fine for bibles and reference tools. However, when I open a user tool, I can only get it with white background. Is this on purpose?

2. Popup of links

There are two things that bug me about the popup bubbles. One is the size. While on the iPhone that might be good, on the iPad it is too small I have a big screen and find it slightly annoying that I have to scroll so much in the popups. Could you add a setting for the size of the popup? The other one is the missing possibility to go directly to a popup text. Every now and then I have a popup where the text intrigues me. I would like to go there and read the preceding and following verses. Would it be possible to add a link in the popup to open the text in the main window?

3. Font size

Are you thinking of adding zooming to your app? Currently you have to go through settings to change the font size and then even reopen your current text. It would of course be much nicer to change the font size directly while reading. Gestures would of course be perfect :)

Thanks again for all your effort.

Archived