No Italics for Minion Pro?

William Cross

Any reason this standard Apple font (Minion Pro) will not display italics in Accordance?

Any reason this standard Apple font (Minion Pro) will not display italics in Accordance?

It's actually an Adobe font, not an Apple standard one. I don't have it installed on any of my Macs. Of course, this doesn't answer your question. If you look at the font in Font Book, I assume the italic version is installed?

Scott.

Both Minion Pro and Myriad Pro do not display italics in Accordance. I believe you are right that these two fonts are created by Adobe and installed by Adobe Reader and Adobe's group of CS applications. Myriad is used by Apple as a corporate font in printed material and websites.

But my question still remains. Why do they not display italics in Accordance?

Both Minion Pro and Myriad Pro do not display italics in Accordance. I believe you are right that these two fonts are created by Adobe and installed by Adobe Reader and Adobe's group of CS applications. Myriad is used by Apple as a corporate font in printed material and websites.

But my question still remains. Why do they not display italics in Accordance?

Sorry, but I'm going to answer your question with a question: Do you have the italic flavors of these fonts installed? And, if so, what are the names of the italic versions as displayed in Font Book?

Scott.

Myriad Pro:

Regular, Italic, Bold, Semibold, Bold Italic, Semibold Italic, Condensed, Condensed Italic, Bold Condensed, Bold Condensed Italic

Minion Pro

Medium, Regular, Italic, Medium Italic, Bold, Semibold, Bold Italic, Semibold Italic, Bold Cond, Bold Cond Italic

Myriad Pro:

Regular, Italic, Bold, Semibold, Bold Italic, Semibold Italic, Condensed, Condensed Italic, Bold Condensed, Bold Condensed Italic

Minion Pro

Medium, Regular, Italic, Medium Italic, Bold, Semibold, Bold Italic, Semibold Italic, Bold Cond, Bold Cond Italic

So if I open Font Book and look at the information about an installed font like Optima I see the following info:

post-18683-094515800 1300303350_thumb.png

Looking at the info pane I can see that while the font "family" name is Optima, there is a specific full name and Postscript name for the bold or italic version.

It would be helpful to know the full name and Postscript name for the italic versions of the fonts and the regular versions of the fonts listed above. I suspect we are not getting the Postscript names correct when we look for the styled versions of the fonts.

Scott.

So if I open Font Book and look at the information about an installed font like Optima I see the following info:

post-18683-094515800 1300303350_thumb.png

Looking at the info pane I can see that while the font "family" name is Optima, there is a specific full name and Postscript name for the bold or italic version.

It would be helpful to know the full name and Postscript name for the italic versions of the fonts and the regular versions of the fonts listed above. I suspect we are not getting the Postscript names correct when we look for the styled versions of the fonts.

Scott.

I can confirm the same problem with both Minion Pro and Myriad Pro. I have attached screen shots. I have other fonts that are OpenType Postscript and they display correctly, but for some reason these two do not. However, it is not a big problem. I have found Georgia makes an excellent readable screen font for text.

Tony Lawrence

post-29479-075815600 1300307191_thumb.png

post-29479-038277800 1300307203_thumb.png

Tony,

Thanks for the screenshots. Would you be willing to post ones for the regular and italics versions without bold? I'm mostly interested in what the Postscript names of the fonts are.

Thanks in advance

Scott

Tony,

Thanks for the screenshots. Would you be willing to post ones for the regular and italics versions without bold? I'm mostly interested in what the Postscript names of the fonts are.

Thanks in advance

Scott

Scott,

Here are the screenshots. Let me know if you need more.

Tony

post-29479-098868800 1300365451_thumb.png

post-29479-001669900 1300365463_thumb.png

post-29479-020989700 1300365474_thumb.png

post-29479-077741800 1300365490_thumb.png

Scott,

Here are the screenshots. Let me know if you need more.

Tony

Thanks. It's what I suspected. The italic font versions use an unusual naming scheme for their Postscript names and our font choosing code is not robust enough to figure it out. I would consider it a bug that we need to address.

Scott

• 1 month later...

Thanks. It's what I suspected. The italic font versions use an unusual naming scheme for their Postscript names and our font choosing code is not robust enough to figure it out. I would consider it a bug that we need to address.

Scott

Is this bug being addressed? Just wondering. I use Minion and Myriad all the time.

Is this bug being addressed? Just wondering. I use Minion and Myriad all the time.

Hey, I just found this thread, and wanted to add that I too have had these problems in the past with Myriad Pro and with Arno Pro.

If you're looking at fonts, please also have a look at Adobe Arno Pro.

Thanks,

Has not yet been scheduled for fixing. Sorry.

Scott.

Minion Pro and Myriad Pro should be fixed for 9.3.2.

Outis, I can't confirm whether or not Arno Pro is working or not, but if it isn't, can you post screenshots of the font's postscript information here, but if you can post similar screenshots to what Tony posted that will help.

Minion Pro and Myriad Pro should be fixed for 9.3.2.

Outis, I can't confirm whether or not Arno Pro is working or not, but if it isn't, can you post screenshots of the font's postscript information here, but if you can post similar screenshots to what Tony posted that will help.

Hi Joel,

You can download the screenshots from: THIS LINK

Let me know if you need more.

Archived