saved session panes and location preserved but texts not saved?

Mark Parent

My default session changed after upgrading from v9 to v10. All the text fields are blank upon opening app. When I save an open session in pref/gen/default session the number of and location of tabs are preserved, however, there is no text in any of the tab fields. This also occurs when I use a file/save session and name the save file to other than default?

macbook pro 2.4 with mountain lion.

Thank you,

Mark Parent

Perhaps you can remedy the problem by opening your saved session, repopulate the text (place cursor in the search entry box and hit return), then resave the workspace. See if that doesn't fix the problem.

That's a good thought. I gave it a try but it did not work. I also deleted saved default in library, then rebuilt from scratch and saved only to have same result. tabs and locations are saved but no populated text fields. I then re-downloaded and re-installed 10.0.2. issue persists.

So your Preferences -> General -> Startup is set to Default Session? When you click 'Set Default Session' is the text in each entry box gray or black? The reason I ask is that gray text is a completed search, so when it loads, it will show the completed search results. But, black text is a dirty search, one that hasn't been run yet (and may not even be valid), so it doesn't try to run that search when it is loaded.

The prefrences->startup is set to default session and the searches are completed gray searches; * or Matt-Rev type of text displayed.

I'm having trouble reproducing this, any session I set to default properly runs any searches. Could you perhaps try compressing your startup session and attaching it to this thread? Or if that doesn't work, e-mailing it to [my first name] -at- accordancebible [dot com]. You can find the startup session in ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences/Startup Session. If you have a file called 'Temporary Session' in that same folder, you could also include it.

Sorry, wrong file. I don't have a ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences/Startup Session file??

Hey - Go to Finder>Option-Go-Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences. The Startup session should be there. It's probably not in the Root level Library, but in the User Library.

Edited by Julie Falling

My installation was in Applications and the Accordance file is in user/documents. Is that why there is no Accordance file in ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences/Startup Session file??

Do you have an Accordance Preferences folder in your ~/Library/Preferences/ ? And does it have different settings files in it? But there isn't any Startup Session listed there?

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear. My install was in applications and the Accordance FOLDER is in user/document. I am not looking in system/ library. I'm looking in Hardrive -> Library -> Preferences and there is nothing for Accordance there?

Not really. Applications is where the app belongs, and the Accordance Files were created by the app in your Documents folder. That is completely normal.

We all have at least two Libraries on our Macs. One is at the Root level, easily accessed from the HD icon on your desktop (if you've opted in Finder to show it there). You can also access it from any Finder window if you have opted to have to have Hard disks shown there (Finder>Preferences>General).

The other Library (or Libraries) is associated with a specific user. (The only reason I know this is because all my stuff was at the Root level. Helen recommended that I move it to the User level to avoid permissions problems.) It's harder to get to. You can get there using Finder>Go while holding down the option key, and clicking on Library. Helen had me make an alias (Cmd-L) for it when in Column View in the Finder for quicker access. That is where all the User specific stuff is located. To find the Accordance Preferences folder you need, follow this path: Finder>Option-Go>Library (this will be your User Library)>Preferences>Accordance Preferences. There you will find your Startup session.

If there are, say, five users on one Mac, all with their own log-ins, each would have his own User Library for storing all his own preferences. If you are the only user, your stuff is probably still in your User Library. I think mine was installed at the Root level back at Accordance 5. I have since moved the Accordance Preferences to the Preferences folder at the User Level - just a simple drag and drop.

Post back if you're still having problems finding it. It can be VERY confusing.

Thank you for your patience. The file is exactly where you said it should be. I have attached it. Also thought I might add that if I open a reference tool, or lexicon and a text (3 tabs - 1 pane) and then save a default startup and close/reopen app...that the other two tabs populate. Only the text will not populate.

Startup session.zip

Glad you found it!

I've had the same issue. I have a multi-tab window I use daily during my devotional time, imaginatively named, "Daily Reading." I usually save it at the end of each session. I also close it before taking my laptop to church to teach Sunday school. When I reopen it Sunday afternoon, every tab will be populated except the the active one I see as the window opens. Annoying, but I keep track of where I am in my Journal (prayer list/reading). Maybe I should toss my Startup session, too, and see if that takes care of it!

I don't remember having to use finder/go/option to reveal user library before Mountain Lion. I did go from Snow Leopard straight to Mountain Lion and maybe that where the change happened, but then again, maybe not. I forget more than I learn nowadays :)

I renamed pref/startup to startup.old and it did not resolve the issue. I did the same with the pref/texts file and had same result. It doesn't matter what text or how many text tabs in pane. Any text from the library palette text selection saved will open empty and everything else opens populated. Any text double clicked from the library palette will open populated. Hummmm

Edited by techmatemark

The Finder>Option-Go showed up in Lion. In the original Lion release, you couldn't get to the User Library at all without going into the Terminal. My son showed me the gobbly-gook I had to put in there to make the Library show up. Since I haven't done any programming for over 35 years, and never did anything but Basic/Fortran/Cobol, I am very cautious about messing around with stuff I don't understand.

At some point in Lion, the Option-Go was introduced. Helen has posted that somewhere on the forums. That's a good thing as long as a user who thinks the Library is a place to put his stuff doesn't find out about it. A personal Library does sound like a place to put your stuff, but since it is really only for the computer's use, it is probably good that it is hidden. For those like me who are only a little less clueless, and cautious, it's a handy thing to know. I am not a full-fledged geek, only a semi-geek. Having, in the past, found out the hard way that I can really mess up my machine, I have learned to be more careful.

Yes, I concur! I don't want to be clicking anywhere I shouldn't be either. Well thank you for your help in that area. Most appreciated.

Mark, we looked at your file, and everything populates for us when we open it. It seems a screenshare is the best way for us to see what is happening on your Mac. Please send me a personal message with your contact info for Skype, AIM or Jabber, or a phone number if you use none of the above.