#107) Bible Atlases

Timothy Jenney

[Accordance 10: Basic] Remember the old Bible map transparencies of yesteryear? There's a reason they aren't around any longer. In 1998 Accordance launched its interactive and customizable Bible Atlas, the first of its kind in Bible study software. Using the metaphor of transparent layers, Accordance's Atlas offered unequaled flexibility and ease of use. Today the Atlas remains one of Accordance's most popular resources. It includes a dozen different backgrounds, thirty region layers, seventy-five routes (most of them animated), thirteen site collections, and six sample layers, as well as continuous elevation and geographic coordinate readouts and rotatable 3D perspectives. Users can even create their own map layers! Join Dr. J as he offers this retrospective look at the Accordance Atlas.

http://vimeo.com/101406064

post-29215-0-90534900-1406041904_thumb.png

Another great podcast. Thanks Dr. J! You are using the talents that the Lord has given you to enrich all of our lives.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

I've been getting into more Bible atlases lately, so am looking forward to watching this one all the way through, Tim!

Funny choice of print atlas for your foil in the first minute... I've been reading it lately, and really enjoying it! (Its clear plastic overlays are actually really cool.) :) Now, on to the rest of the podcast, and getting further acquainted with Accordance's Atlas. Thanks for producing this, Tim!

You guys are very welcome, and thanks!

I actually like the Rose maps, Abram. It's the overhead projector I found so frustrating! Well, that and trying to line multiple transparencies up on the machine. The books don't suffer from either issue.

Dr. J – Hurrah for the demise of the transparency! I never taught with them, but I certainly sat in classrooms where they were used. One thing you didn't mention is that the miserable things are slippery and have static electricity problems as well. Can't remember the number of times some poor instructor had them slide all over the place, or get out of order. I don't think anyone who ever used them, or anyone who endured the disruption that came when they didn't cooperate, is mourning their loss.

The podcast has made me want to dig into the Help and figure out how to customize a map. Thanks. Our Sunday school students certainly enjoyed them, and I know they can be used to greater advantage than we've used them in the past.

Edited by Julie Falling
  • Like 1

Hah!

I was sure that this podcast would spark a storm of complaints about using transparencies years ago. So far, you're the only one, Julie!

Surely there are others with their own horror stories to tell.

Great retrospective, And it will be available on iOS so we can share over coffee after the service???????

;o(

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Great retrospective, And it will be available on iOS so we can share over coffee after the service???????

;o(

Why I wish he wasn't ironic?

I'm looking sadly to my iPad...

• Like 1

Like many of you, I have high hopes that Accordance iOS will have more features in the near future. Yes, I'd love to have the Accordance Atlas on it, multiple zones, Search All, etc., etc.

However, I have an even greater hope: that Apple will release an "iPad Pro" that will run a full version of OSX. Windows users already have a number of choices, showing that it can be done—if a company wants to do it. The real question is why Apple is lagging behind here. A "Pro" iPad would run Accordance for Mac, with all of its features.

The situation reminds me of the outcry in the mid-80s, when Apple users (including me) clamored for a Mac laptop. Apple lagged behind until 1989, when they finally released PowerBook 100. [Yes, I bought one.] It would still be many years before the Apple laptops would equal the various PC laptops.

My advice? [it hurts to say this.] Buy a Windows 8.0 or 8.1 laptop and run Accordance for Windows on it. Then, pray for Apple, that someone there will push the iPad Pro concept into reality.

;o) windows 8, I can appreciate how hard that was!

I will stick with my iPad 2 for the time being and make do with my Zondervan (and Holman hard copy!)

I must say that the Surface Pro 3 looks nice and tempting, but temptations are never good. :) I rather not have to deal with Microsoft or Windows.

Hi David, aren't you getting the emails from accordance? All the amazing summer deals on study material. Very tempting and lots of us have succumbed!

Hiss, hiss.

Lol yes, I too succumbed into that temptation and bought the WBC. I was weak :) lol

Edited by davidmedina