Show all highlighted text and Font question

craigminah

Hello, I'm a new Accordance user and have gotten my feet wet reading on YouVersion and referencing texts in Accordance for clarification. Reading the Story of Christmas reading plan and it's great but I have two non-related questions:

1. Is there a way to display all the text I've highlighted in Accordance or do I have to scroll around to find highlights?

2. How do people make note of passages that they want to go back to, Notes or Highlights?

3. When I change Display-->Show Text As--> Separate Verses (and when I read Accordance on my iPod Touch) I see the following (sorry for the highlights):

http://www.craigminah.com/files/accordance10question.png

What are those weird characters that look like carriage returns in Word right after the verse/chapter? Thanks.

Hi, Craig! Welcome to Accordance, and to the forums. Feel free to keep posting any questions or comments as you come across them. I'll answer each question below:

1. Just run a search for the STYLE of your highlight. For example, to find all of your highlights of the style 'Important', you would run a search for:

[sTYLE important]

You can find the STYLE command in Search -> Enter Command, type it via Shift-Command-S, or just type the search yourself. As with most searches, you only need to type enough characters to identify the specific style of choice (e.g. 'Imp' may be enough to identify 'Important').

2. Other users can chime in here, but I personally use notes a lot more than highlights. I like writing down extended thoughts, adding cross references, and using detail - all of which are great for user notes. The highlights are fantastic for emphasizing certain words in a particular way, but they don't give me (personally) enough explanatory power. The advantage of them is that they are always there, while the notes you have to click on or keep open, however.

3. Those characters are the paragraph markers. Since you aren't showing the text as paragraphs, it is there to show you were the paragraph breaks would occur if visible.

Thanks for the info. I feel I need to watch all those Accordance PodCasts before asking anything else here :) So there's no way to hide the paragraph markers?

Hi Craig,

not if you display by verse, If you change to display by paragraph they will disappear.

To change it, make sure the text is selected (blue outline), then press CMD-T. A sheet will drop down, and select Show as Paragraph, or Show as Paragraph with Space.

post-29509-0-03095200-1354622852_thumb.png

Voila

Edited by Ken Simpson

I, too, use Notes more than highlights. I do, however, have a highlight style (a skinny red box) that I use for a passage I want to come back to and study more thoroughly.

I almost always have my text display as "Paragraphs With Space" - I know that versification and chapter breaks are not in the original Greek and Hebrew, and that many paragraph breaks may not be, either, but it is still useful for me to see the Scriptures in blocks instead of in bits.

• 1 month later...

3. Those characters are the paragraph markers. Since you aren't showing the text as paragraphs, it is there to show you were the paragraph breaks would occur if visible.

I set up my Mac to show Paragraphs with Space and the paragraph symbol went away but I noticed on my iPod Touch it's there no matter what I set the Text Display to. Is this normal or is it a bug? BTW, I installed Accordance on my iPod to play with before I get an iPad. Thanks again.